It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
(female)

Pattyanne HB User
dental visits with TKR

I've had both knees replaced and my surgeon told me to take 4 amoxicillin pills before any invasive procedure for the rest of my life. I have done this for 7 years at the dentist, etc. I have realized amoxicillin contains sulfa which I am allergic to. Is there another antibiotic I can use. I really need to eliminate this last sulfa med.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: dental visits with TKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyanne View Post
I've had both knees replaced and my surgeon told me to take 4 amoxicillin pills before any invasive procedure for the rest of my life. I have done this for 7 years at the dentist, etc. I have realized amoxicillin contains sulfa which I am allergic to. Is there another antibiotic I can use. I really need to eliminate this last sulfa med.
Hi Pattianne:
Phone your surgeon and tell him about your allergy to sulfa and ask if he can prescribe another kind of antibiotic.

Shirley H.

The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Swan For This Useful Post:
Pattyanne (06-18-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User

Hi Pattyanne,

Like you, I have now had both knees replaced (Right TKR - 4/5/11 and Left TKR 3/23/12) and must take antibiotics before any invasive procedure the rest of my life. Also, like you, I am allergic to anything in the penicillin and sulfa drug families and can ONLY take antibiotics in the Mycin family of drugs.

Just one correction I want to point out to you - Amoxicillin is in the Penicillin family of drugs but does not contain Sulfa! Sulfa drugs are in a whole class of their own!

The one that my Orthopedic surgeon prescribes for me pre-dental work (including cleanings) is Clindamycin HCL (300 mg. tablets). Take TWO 300mg tablets an HOUR before your dental work and you should be fine.

Any other invasive procedure for which you would need antibiotics, such as a colonoscopy/upper endoscopy like I had in February, or any MAJOR surgery would require IV antibiotics DURING THE SURGERY!

Just ask your Orthopedic surgeon what the IV equivalent of Clindamycin is. If you should ever need surgery or invasive procedures by any other surgeon than your Orthopedic surgeon, just before your day of surgery, have your Orthopedic surgeon call and consult with your surgeon for that procedure and let him or her know that you need IV antibiotics DURING THE PROCEDURE OR SURGERY and which one you can be given without having an adverse reaction!

After my first TKR last year, my surgeon gave me a list of guidelines for various invasive procedures that I would need antibiotics for either before or during the surgery or procedure and the method of delivery and dosage. (Oral in the case of dental work and by IV for anything else.)

The guideline sheet was issued in 2009 by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery that explains Antibiotic Prophylaxis for Bacteremia in Patients with Joint Replacements. Ask your surgeon if he can get you a copy of these guidelines.

I'm sure the Clindamycin HCL before your dental work should be okay for you and I doubt you will have any adverse reaction to it.

Hope this info helps.

Regards,
Carol (*******)

Last edited by ldy12; 06-18-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: More info; punctuation correction; spelling correction

The Following User Says Thank You to ldy12 For This Useful Post:
Pattyanne (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I've taken Clindamycin for over 13 years before dental work and even with surgery. It is the antibiotic of choice to prevent infections in replaced joints. Why your doc ordered amoxicillin, I don't know....it is considerably cheaper.

I don't get the antibiotics form my surgeon but from my dentist...ask the dentist what he/she uses and get them to give you the pills to take. Most dentists keep extra antibiotics of what they use in the office in case someone forgets to pre-medicate so taking what he/she uses actually works better. They can prescribe and most are very up to date on what it best to use and at what dose.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
Pattyanne (06-19-2012)
Closed Thread