It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
(male)

Searfass HB User
Re: How to get my doc to focus on my hips?

My shoe insert has helped tremendously, however I still have mild hip discomfort; I noticed it when I exercise or take long strides when I walk. It kinda feels like I'm pulling a rubber band and it keeps on getting tighter; so it limits my ability to completely extend my legs when I'm walking.

I did notice that once in a while, I'm still leaning on each side. Could this be because I'm now using different muscles and my body has to get used to being level again?

I used to have to wear a jumper's knee brace under my knee on the shorter leg, but know It feels perfectly fine. My left thigh is still inflamed, but I think it is getting better.

How many times do you have to replace shoe inserts? I am on my feet 8 hours a day at my job, and I really don't want to wear them out and go back to being lopsided.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi again Searfass:

I have no idea how long an insert lasts before wearing out, but I have seen them on the shelves in retail stores such as big box and drugstores. Maybe you can lay in a little supply of them when you find out if they are really helping every day. Then when they wear out or flatten or whatever, you can have a ready supply of replacements! I do hope the lift continues to give you rellef. It seems a small expense to achieve a great end.

I suppose that years of leaning to one side can accustom your muscles to working a certain way, and maybe if you concentrate on walking upright the muscles eventually will get use to working correctly to keep you straight. This is a good question to ask your doctor. I am only giving my lay person's opinion.

Please keep us posted on how things are going. We all hope that you have solved the problem.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
(male)

Searfass HB User

Well I had my follow up appointment yesterday. As it turns out, my labrum seems to be intact; no labrel tear to speak of. But I have severe loss of cartilage. I asked the doc of a way to solvent that, and he said being is I'm so young, that they usually ride it out with pain meds or injections until it gets to bone on bone. But being is I am diabetic, most pain meds are out of the question, as are injections. He then asked if I was interested in a hip replacement, then said that he performed them on other people as young as me, but otherwise they were healthy. Having CF and diabetes really pushes the envelope, and other problems may arise from replacing my hip he said.

He then said if I was intent on getting surgery, he recommended I see doctors down at Penn State, which isn't a problem, as I go there to treat my CF.

But I think I have found a silver bullet, so to speak. I have only been taking this for about a week, but I feel so much better, and energized. Very little hip discomfort at all, and I have not taken 5 hour energy drinks in a few days. Before I was living on 5 hour energy; I had to down a half a bottle just to get out of bed! I desperately want to put off a hip replacement as long as I can, and it's only been 7 days on this supplement and I feel tons better!

Last edited by moderator2; 08-08-2012 at 08:25 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Hi there -- so glad that you found relief! I would be interested in the name of the supplement, since that could be beneficial and might work for me, too! By the way, if you do find yourself limited in your daily activities because of the hip pain, a resurfacing might be a better option for you. I am coming to grips with needing an artificial something-or-other at some point, and a resurfacing requires less removal of bone, which allows for revisions later on.

Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #20
(male)

Searfass HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPeainSF View Post
Hi there -- so glad that you found relief! I would be interested in the name of the supplement, since that could be beneficial and might work for me, too! By the way, if you do find yourself limited in your daily activities because of the hip pain, a resurfacing might be a better option for you. I am coming to grips with needing an artificial something-or-other at some point, and a resurfacing requires less removal of bone, which allows for revisions later on.
The supplement is called "Omega XL". It got rave reviews on Amazon, so I decided to try it as a last ditch effort, and so far so good. It's a bit pricey, but I figure you can't put a price on your health!

But it just hit me today like a ton of bricks. I was buying and testing all these supplements hoping to find relief, when I'm about 99% sure the cause of my fatigue was because of my CF, as I haven't need IV antibiotics since 2008. I'm almost positive that I have a lung infection, or at the least, some inflammation. I think I will call my dr tomorrow and try an oral antibiotic first, and if that doesn't help, it's hospital time for me.

I'm hoping once I get my lung issues under control, that my hips and gait will be a bit better, but who knows?

Last edited by Searfass; 08-08-2012 at 06:54 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Searfass:
SweetPeainSF (08-09-2012)
Old 08-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Thanks for the recommendation. I am currently taking algae oil, which is a vegetarian version of fish oil. If a fish product would 100 percent guarantee a result, I might eschew my principles and take a non-veggie version. I figure the algae oil is a good compromise. I also take MSM and glucosamine hydrochloride, also vegetarian.

I hope that you get your more urgent health issues addressed quickly and easily!

Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #22
(male)

Searfass HB User

Well I'm updating this thread. I recently had an appointment with a top ortho in Hershey Medical Center, and he was examining my MRI and said that he would'nt say I have a "severe cartilage loss", actually he said they don't look too bad. He said not to let anyone operate on my hips.

But upon examination, he noted that my glutes and hip flexors were extremely weak/tight, as I am having a crazy amount of trouble picking my legs up, that's why I limp.

It makes sense as I don't have barely any pain to speak of, just a lack of mobility.

I'm stretching my hip flexors and working my glutes as we speak, and I noticed an improvement in my gait already! But I do wonder what possibly made my glutes and hip flexors so weak in the first place? I mean I'm only 33.

EDIT: I'm also on 3 IV antibiotics for a lung infection.

Last edited by Searfass; 03-01-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

The muscle imbalances usually start with gait change when your body instinctively compensates for some injury (maybe even a minor injury) or even from problematic shoes, then the weakness compounds the original problem. I hope your lung infection clears up!

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
Searfass (03-03-2013)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #24
(male)

Searfass HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPeainSF View Post
The muscle imbalances usually start with gait change when your body instinctively compensates for some injury (maybe even a minor injury) or even from problematic shoes, then the weakness compounds the original problem. I hope your lung infection clears up!
Thanks. These are some heavy duty antibiotics that I'm on. I was in the hospital for 7 days and then they kicked me out and sent me home on IVs because I was too healthy too stay in the hospital.

I wonder if the muscle imbalance has anything to do with my leg length descepency? In my mid to late 20s, all I did was sit in front of the computer on my spare time. Looking back, I should've been much more active.

The following user gives a hug of support to Searfass:
SweetPeainSF (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

Woulda, coulda... Get yourself healthy and start mild exercise once you feel well. If you want to walk to the end of your driveway, and it's comfortable for you, start there. If you can walk to the living room, then start there. You are probably right about the leg-length discrepancy. I think that you had got orthotics? Hopefully, with the physical therapy exercises and the corrective footwear, things will straighten themselves out.

It's probably a good thing you weren't out running marathons with a leg-length discrepancy, though!

Reply Reply