It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
(male)

pvvkumar HB User
knee pain - damage of sponge aorund the knee joint

I have a bit of knee pains which kills the feeling of flexibility for swift movements.

Whne X - Ray is taken, Dr. says, the sponge muscles around the Knee joint are damaged a bit and hence the flxibility is lost to that extent.

Will use of calcium tablets help to restore ? I understand taking calcium tablets regularly cause constipation ?

I am also pursuing simple thigh exercises. ALso want to knwo is there any friendly treatment available by way of intake of tablets or knee strengthening oils etc. ?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User
Re: knee pain - damage of sponge aorund the knee joint

Hi there,

What your doctor (is he an Orthopedic surgeon?) is referring to is the cartilage between the thigh bone (femur) and the shin bone (tibia) that acts as a "shock absorber" for the knee, when you do high impact sports, do those quick maneuvers you mention, etc. Over time, the cartilage can wear down and you can get a tear that causes the pain. (especially if, like me, you were diagnosed with "end-stage" osteoarthritis in the knees.)

I had one arthroscope of each knee, but eventually the osteoarthritis wore away ALL of my cartilage in the knees and I had to have total knee replacements a year apart. (right knee - 4/5/11 and left knee - 3/23/12) I now have two stable knee prosthetics and am walking NORMALLY WITHOUT PAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN SEVEN YEARS!!! My surgeon is the top joint replacement Orthopedic surgeon in my county and did a fantastic job on my knees! He also is the most kindhearted surgeon I've ever been under the care of in my ENTIRE LIFE FOR ANYTHING!!! I have been referring so many people to him (their request), that he now calls me his "Poster Child for his Practice"!

Calcium supplements won't help.

You need to go to an Orthopedic surgeon who specializes in arthroscopic repair and joint replacement surgery and have him or her do an MRI of your knees to find out what is really going on in both knees.

And no, there are no oils that you can take. Don't waste your money on those Glucosomine drinks that claim to help relieve joint pain in the knees. Most orthopedic surgeons will tell you NOT to bother with that stuff.

The only other knee cartilage treatment (only by prescription and has to be administered by an Orthopedic surgeon) is a drug called Synvisc and its synthetic cousin, Euflexxa. These are liquid cartilage injections that have to be given several times a year in a series of three injections each round and are very expensive. Also, most insurance companies will NOT cover these drugs because they've only been around a few years and don't have a long term proven success track record. Insurance companies would rather pay for either arthroscopic surgical repair OR, if the cartilage is completely gone because of severe osteoarthritis, $50,000 (per knee) total knee replacement surgery which has a 30+ year and 90%+ proven success track record!!!

Get yourself an Orthopedic surgeon who specializes in joint replacement surgery and go from there.

Let me know how you make out with this. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask me. As noted above, been there, done that, and I'm GLAD I DID!!!

Regards,
Carol (2012 carol)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
(male)

pvvkumar HB User

Thats nice of Ms. Carol. Are you are my problem can be classified as "osteoarthritis "...I have just turned 40 and I have this problem more than 7 years now. Doing all well with running and , gym, walking etc....but not with all that comfort though.....quiet useful inputs gave by you...thank you

Old 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User

Hi pvvkumar,

You're welcome for my advice and insights. And no, I'm not SURE that you have osteoarthritis in your knees. I based the possibility that you have the condition on my own experiences with both of my knees and the fact that I ended up having to have both knees replaced because of that diagnosis. (MADE BY MY ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON!!)
Your problem MAY be the beginning of osteoarthritis, but the actual diagnosis may be an easily arthroscopically repaired tear of the medial meniscus. (the cartilage in your knee.)
That's why I'm suggesting you go to an Orthopedic surgeon to have him examine your knees, get an MRI done and then come to a conclusive diagnosis and treatment plan for you.

I don't know how the health care system in India works and whether you can just choose your own Orthopedic surgeon, like here in the U.S. If you have to go through your primary doctor or local clinic, MAKE SURE you tell them what your problem is and can they PLEASE send you to the most experienced Orthopedic surgeon possible to treat you!

Keep me posted on the progress of your pursuit of care for your knees.

Regards,
Carol

Last edited by ldy12; 07-12-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: addition of signature

Reply Reply