It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

Firehouserose HB User
Unhappy Total Knee Replacement

I'm 2 1/2 months out from a total knee replacement. Nights are miserable. I wake with my aching & aching. Only relief is to take a pain pill and sometimes that doesn't give relief. Still have some pain off and on during the day radiating from knee up to hip or from knee down to ankle. Does anyone else experience this? I'm tired of hurting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
(female)

Jessica415 HB User
Re: Total Knee Replacement

Honestly it sounds as if you're still recovering from surgery. Normally cut muscle tissue and nerves can take anywhere between 4 months to a year to fully heal. Have you spoken to your doctor yet about the pain?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jessica415 For This Useful Post:
Firehouserose (07-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
(female)

Firehouserose HB User

I have another follow up visit next week. Maybe I am too anxious and it is all normal. Facing having the other knee in the near future is scary because this one has been so terribly painful. Thank you for your encouragement that this is not unusual.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #4
(female)

Firehouserose HB User

I was in a rehab center for 15 days and then went for 2 weeks of therapy after I got home. I had a bend of 132 when I left therapy. My goal was 120. I have been doing the exercises they gave me (Most days) and I ride the recumbent bike when I think about it. Not sure if I'm supposed to be doing steps with both legs yet or not so most of the time I try to do one step at a time until I can ask next week. Medicare would only pay a certain amount for therapy a year and I was afraid to use it all up incase the other knee had to be done before the end of the year.
I did not have the machine you were talking about. My doctor said he didn't use them on any of his patients. I asked that while in rehab because everybody else had one. I did as well as they did however. Sounds like your surgeon is a real jewel. Mine is a young doctor and I thought he was up on all the new stuff. had a few doubts after surgery but am beginning to believe in him again since I'm doing fairly well.
I am so glad I found this board and posts. I have learned more reading on it than I have the entire time. I wish I had found it when I was in rehab because maybe then I wouldn't have had such a bad time - mainly feeling sorry for myself and feeling like something was really wrong. I talk to one person and they say they were pain free within a month and then I talk to someone that says it will take months. I like the first scenerio best but it didn't happen for me.
Talk to you soon. I'll post what my doctor tells me next week.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
(female)

Firehouserose HB User

7/31/2012 - Went for my three month check up today. They xrayed the knee and said it was a perfect fit and everything is in place. I started having significant pain in the lateral back part of my knee yesterday. Not constant but very painful. Had a miserable night last night because every time I went to move the leg the pain hit. Finally took a pain pill & put the heating pad on it and it eased off. The doctor said today that he wants me to back to therapy for a tight IT band and hamstring. He said I can do anything I am comfortable doing now. I go back tohim in 3 months. He doesn't think the other knee is ready for replacement yet and I can't say I was unhappy to hear that although it could go any time. He was impressed that I have full extension and the bend is wonderful. So now I will go back to therapy 1 or 2 day a week for 6 to 8 weeks. Yikes, I hate having my days committed but I'll gladly go to get rid of the pain.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User

Hi Firehouserose,

Glad to hear that the new knee looked good on x-ray. As for that pain, remember, you are ONLY THREE MONTHS POST SURGERY, so this is not unusual. Do what your surgeon says regarding PT and that should help alleviate the pain. (I hate to sound so cliche - but remember - "No pain, no gain"!) You just went through MAJOR SURGERY and it does take HARD WORK to rehab your new knee. Just keep doing EVERYTHING THEY ASK OF YOU, AND I PROMISE that soon enough, you will be walking pain free like me! As for the other knee not being ready for a TKR, that's good news for the moment. Just remember, YOU WILL KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME BECAUSE it will start to hurt like the other one and you'll be able to tell your surgeon that YOU feel it's time. (That's what happened to me with my left knee last Dec and my surgeon confirmed it with an x-ray. He REALLY LISTENED TO ME when I said that my pain tolerance threshold was completely shot in January and could we PLEASE do my left TKR ASAP? Turns out I was right on the money, because when he opened it up to start the surgery, he found it was in worse shape than he expected to find!)

Keep me posted with your progress.

Regards,
Carol

The Following User Says Thank You to ldy12 For This Useful Post:
Firehouserose (07-31-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
(female)

86tkr HB User

This is unfortunate to hear -- I am 1 month out from a revision of total knee --
I have pain when the therapists press on it to get more range of motions -- despite pain meds -- not sure if they are helping? My concerns are itchiness and rashes -- I am on Aspirin, and today did not take any hydrocodone/acetaminophen, but take 1 tab of oxycontin overnight to help with the discomfort. Any body experiencing itchiness and any rashes? The dermatologist gave me topical steriod ointment for a contact dermatitis on one side of incision -- he suggested I could possibly be reacting to the metal in the knee replacement --

Anyone knows of someone who reacted to their knee replacement this way, please write. thanks.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
(female)

cyarbro HB User

I had TKR on June 19, so I am 13 weeks past surgery. I, too, am concerned about level of pain, particularly about needing pain meds (percocet 7.5/325) if I want to do anything active (therapy, household chores, etc.). Any advice or opinions on whether I should bite the bullet and stop pain meds or whether I should take the meds and work hard in therapy to continue my progress?

Cornelia

Reply Reply