It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
(male)

AngeloS HB User
Bilateral TKR dislocation issues when SITTING!!

.I had a Bi-Lateral TKR done on 4-6-12 at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC.

For my first mo, all was well, I had incredible motion (0 & 130)then something changed.

My right knee started popping out when sitting & moving my leg. If I was at a table & my leg touched the legs, it would dislocate. Bar stool, if it hangs down it dislocates. BUT I can straighten my leg & the knee pops back into place. It sounds like a thick piece of dry kindling breaking or cracking as it pops back in. I have no pain & it functions normal in every other way.

2 weeks ago my left knee started dislocating but this one is different & very bad. I tried to push back from a chair with my left leg & it jumped the post. Twice in the last 2 weeks I have been in the ER then the local OR to put under & have my leg "pulled" back into place. Both times I had to go to the hospital in an ambulance since I cannot walk or really move when the left knee dislocates. And the pain on the left side is horrific.
I walk 2-3 miles a day & have no problem walking. When walking the knees are great. The problems only start when sitting.

My Doctor (Dr. Bryan Nestor of HSS) has scheduled surgery for 7-23-12 to add the spacers. There is no assurance that this operation will fix the dislocation problem either. I am scared to DEATH!!

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with this kind of dislocation & had any success with getting it straightened out? Please feel free to reply
Angelo
Thanks .

Last edited by moderator2; 07-13-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: please do not post an email address/telephone number

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB User
Re: Bilateral TKR dislocation issues when SITTING!!

Hi AngeloS,

Sorry to hear you're having such problems post double TKRs. It's NOT uncommon to having clicking and "popping" for the first few months post TKR. However, your situation does seem to be extreme. It's possible something happened during your original TKR surgery that caused the prosthetics not to be fitted quite right and cemented properly and completely. I understand this can happen sometimes. That's why your surgeon is scheduling you for the spacer surgery on 7/23. Don't be afraid. Someone had this problem about a month ago on this board, and, since I didn't know anything about spacers, I mistakenly jumped to the conclusion that her surgeon had done a lousy job. But then, I asked MY physical therapist about this and she said spacers sometimes ARE needed for some TKR patients for a while during the healing process. It has to do with how their bodies responded to the initial surgery and rehab process. Everyone heals at their body's own pace.

I have had both my knees replaced in the past year due to severe osteoarthritis in both. (right knee - 4/5/11 and left knee - 3/23/12). I was lucky to have the top Orthopedic surgeon in Westchester County perform my surgeries and I did the rest by DOING EVERYTHING HE ASKED OF ME POST SURGERY to get excellent outcomes! I am now walking normally on two stable prosthetic knees for the first time in seven years WITHOUT PAIN!!! I was so glad I had the option of TKR surgery!!! Now, after I finish getting lumbar spinal problems treated, I can finally get on with my life!! The spinal problems were totally unrelated to my knee problems, but my surgeon DID say, that, once I get treated for the lumbar pain, the new knees will help take pressure off my hips and back.

Let me know how your spacer surgery goes! And I'm sure you'll be feeling better once that surgery is over and you're able to continue with physical therapy again! It sounds like you've got a great surgeon down at HSS! (My surgeon has privileges there and occasionally does joint replacements there. Mostly on professional athletes, I think, because he is team Ortho surgeon to the the PGA and LPGA and National Tennis teams.) His primary hospital, though, where he is Chief of Orthopedic Surgery/Joint Replacement is Sound Shore Medical Center in New Rochelle, where he performed MY TKR surgeries.

Regards,
Carol (2012 carol)

Reply Reply