It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
(female)

Jazzywaldo123 HB User
Exclamation My knee cap got stuck on the side of my leg! Help!

So two years ago my knee cap poped in and out when playing basketball. It was ignored the first time. The next time it happened was in volleyball. It was painfull and left me in tears. Instead of a strech pain this time but a sharp pain even so much as bending my knee, running, going upstairs or walking for too long. So i got a kneebrace. After months in the kneebrace, the sharp pain dulled and i took it off. It popped out again but this time it was stuck on the side of my leg. My friend had to push it back into place. This time it was a super sharp pain to even get the books from the bottom of my locker or go up the stair of the high school would make me cry. I can push my kneecap far. What is wrong? Where should i start to stop it? Thanks.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: My knee cap got stuck on the side of my leg! Help!

Okay, it sounds like you dislocated your kneecap, and some of the tissues and ligaments that hold your kneecap in place were overstretched or torn. If they're completely torn, you might require surgery to repair it. If they're just overstretched or partly torn, rest and physical therapy might be sufficient.

Either way, you need to get to an orthopedist who knows about knees. Until then, wear the brace and avoid strenuous activity. Icing may reduce the pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User

Hi there and welcome!

I agree with Jane - it sounds like you MAY have torn the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) in your knee which is very common with teenage athletes male and female. (Especially playing soccer, basketball and volleyball.)

As Jane suggested, ask your regular doctor to refer you to an Orthopedic surgeon who specializes in knee problems. You probably WILL need some kind of arthroscopic repair of the knee. In the meantime, WEAR THE BRACE, stop the heavy duty sports for now, and ICE THE KNEE to keep the swelling, and thus the pain, down!

Let us know when you get to see an Ortho surgeon and whether you end up needing surgery. We care and want to see you recover quickly so you can get back to the sports you love. But TELL YOUR COACHES you CANNOT PLAY FOR NOW!! I'm kind of surprised they LET you do so when this keeps happening! Kind of irresponsible of them not to send you for an Orthopedic evaluation!!! Your parents should do something about that legally if you get badly injured if the coaches allow you to keep playing hurt! They can be liable if they don't act and you were to get permanently impaired!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted.

Carol (2012 carol)

Old 07-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
(female)

Jessica415 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Okay, it sounds like you dislocated your kneecap, and some of the tissues and ligaments that hold your kneecap in place were overstretched or torn. If they're completely torn, you might require surgery to repair it. If they're just overstretched or partly torn, rest and physical therapy might be sufficient.

Either way, you need to get to an orthopedist who knows about knees. Until then, wear the brace and avoid strenuous activity. Icing may reduce the pain.
I couldn't agree more, this is exactly what it sounds like and you need to seek medical attention as soon as possible

Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
(female)

Petertayyy HB User

I have this same thing. It is an unstable kneecap. Mine has dislocated many times but mine will go in between my femur and tibia. I have to get someone to straighten it to pop it back in place. I had it for atleast 5 years before they knew what it was. Before they found out what I had, THey would say it was normal for my knee to pop out of place. Or that I was too flexible because I am a dancer. There are braces that help or my doctor recommended taping physical therapy.

Reply Reply