It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
(male)

Joe T HB User
Knee Rehab

I have been told that the best exercise for my knee rehab is the stationary bike.I have one that is old,but it still works.Shooting at 10 minutes 3 times a day.Do you think that is enough,or should I do more.

Last edited by Joe T; 07-27-2012 at 08:59 AM.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Knee Rehab

30 minutes a day should be enough exercise. Try it and see how your body holds up. If necessary, you can cut back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User

Hi Joe T.,

Actually, the BEST therapy for post TKR rehab is water therapy, but the stationary bike is a good second. Do however much per day is comfortable for you, but DON'T OVERDO IT! Start with very little resistance and work your way up while increasing the duration of each session also. Eventually, you will build up your quads too and then get the okay from your surgeon to go OUTDOOR bike riding!

I have back issues that need to be addressed first, post TKR, that have flared up since my left TKR in late March. But once that situation is addressed and treated, as far as my Ortho knee surgeon who did both my TKRs over the past year, is concerned, I am good to go for outdoor bike riding. LOW IMPACT SPORTS AND ACTIVITIES are the best for post TKR surgery. NO RUNNING OR JOGGING EVER!! Every time your feet hit the pavement when running, it can jar the prosthetic knee. So over time, that can cause the prosthetic knee to get knocked out of line and/or cause pieces of it to come loose! This causes it to wear out faster than it should. (The newer prosthetic knees are supposed to last at LEAST 20 to 25 years.) If you run or jog and wear it out faster, they can ONLY REPLACE THE PROSTHETIC KNEE ONE MORE TIME!! So please heed this warning if you don't want to go through another TKR later in life!

Regards,
Carol

Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
(male)

Joe T HB User

Hi Carol,

About thirty minutes a day seems to be about right.My knee flex is about 125 now,but I am about 5 degrees from straight.My Rehab tech is more concerned about getting my leg straight,and has me doing some exercises for my Quad muscle.I walked with a bent leg for a couple of years,and the muscle is weak as a result.
Hard work,but it will be worth it I am sure.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Hi Joe T,

The 125 range of motion sounds good for what you're going through right now, and so does the extension number. Just keep working with your therapist and you should be feeling much better with the knee in another month or so.

Regards,
Carol

Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
(male)

Joe T HB User
Re: Knee Rehab Recumbent Bike

Purchased an exercise bike the other day,(recumbent type)and I am very pleased with it.After only a couple of days of working with it,my leg feels stronger.
Has anyone had a positive experience with a recumbent type bike?

Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hi Joe T,

Though I have an old UPRIGHT stationary bike at home that I use to keep my TKR knees in shape, one of the first machines I had to use at outpatient PT was the Recumbent bike. The first couple of sessions post TKR (both years - right TKR - 4/5/11 and left TKR - 3/23/12) all I was able to do was rock my legs back and forth because it hurt too much to do full rotations. Gradually, I was slowly able to pedal normally and build up strength in my quads at the same time. And now that both my TKR knees are fully healed, I go to my PT facility as a paid member ($50/month) so I can keep to my routine on all the machines for my knees. (My insurance stopped paying for my knee therapy after just 3 months this time around because I had met all the physical therapy rehab goals for the left TKR. Not wanting to go to a commercial gym which is NOT equipped for people with TKRs, I had, with last year's right TKR, asked my physical therapist if I could come as a paying member so that I had the security of still being under her supervision, should I run into any post surgery problems. She said that was fine and there is NO LONG TERM CONTRACT to worry about, like there would be with the commercial gyms. I pay month to month and if I want, I could skip a month if I choose to. (Though I don't intend to.) The membership fee gives me unlimited access and number of times per month to the facility so I can keep both my TKR knees AND my body in general in good shape!

Back to the benefits of the recumbent bike. Now that I'm having serious back problems that need to be treated, the recumbent bike seat provides an extra degree of support to my back, while still getting the exercise for my knees that I need.

Once I get my back issues squared away, I am going to buy an inexpensive elliptical machine for home that is advertised in one of the mail order health catalogs I get. That's also great exercise for post TKR therapy, though my PT facility doesn't have one. Also, once I get my back issues taken care of, as far as my knee surgeon is concerned, I am cleared to go OUTDOOR bike riding too, if I want to!

Glad you're happy with your bike - keep up the good work!

Regards,
Carol

Last edited by ldy12; 08-03-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: More info

Old 08-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
(male)

Joe T HB User

Hi Carol,

Been working with the bike,and noticeing a little knee pain.I am almost two months post TKR,and I am not sure if the pain is due to the bike,or just the healing process.
I like working with the bike, my leg feels stronger, and walking seems to be better also.
Guess time will tell.

Regards
Joe

Old 08-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Hi Joe T,

Don't forget you just had MAJOR KNEE SURGERY just about TWO MONTHS AGO! The knee is going to be sore from being worked on for at least 4 to 5 months. In the meantime, if you have started increasing the resistance along with the amount of time you ride the bike and you are still getting pain, dial back on the resistance a bit (like maybe down to 3.5 from 5.0) and go for the endurance instead to build up the knee and quad muscles. Try doing 15 minutes each session twice a day instead of only ten. And after your workout, MAKE SURE YOU ICE THE KNEE AND ELEVATE IT for about twenty minutes to keep the swelling down! Keep up the good work and let me know how you're progressing!

Regards,
Carol

Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
(male)

txallergy HB User

Joe,

It has been 2 months of the surgery so you can do either of below mentioned exercise, but I request you to consult with your doctor before proceeding on it.
  • Hamstring Stretches
  • Quadriceps Stretch
  • Leg Extension Exercises and Straight Leg Raises
  • Buttock Tucks
  • 1/4 Squats- Progressing from double leg to single leg
  • Step-ups- Forward and Lateral

Hope this helps you to cure soon.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

All excellent therapy routines which Joe actually SHOULD be getting at Outpatient PT at this point in his recovery.

(I was put through all of these routines at PT after each of my TKR surgeries. (right TKR - 4/5/11 and left TKR - 3/23/12). My recovery from my left TKR was much faster (only one month as opposed to almost FOUR MONTHS following my right TKR last year.) Part of the reason was that I had the stable right prosthetic knee to work with after my left TKR surgery, and the other reason it took so long last year was because I also had my left knee scoped during the same surgery as my right TKR. So I literally did not have a stable leg to stand on back then!) Also, I went in to my left TKR surgery highly motivated and was able to walk on the walker 200 FEET THE SAME DAY OF SURGERY!!! My surgeon was astounded and extremely pleased at my willingness to be a full partner in my rehab process. (I DID EVERYTHING THAT WAS ASKED OF ME IN ORDER TO GET AN EXCELLENT OUTCOME.)

Regards,
Carol

Reply Reply