It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
TED Stockings-Tips for Putting them on

After 4 years, I've finally scheduled my second hip replacement for Nov 5--this time for my left hip. Right hip is doing great. My surgeon just confirmed that I would have to wear the dreaded TED thigh high stockings for several weeks after surgery (some of my friends who've had this surgery haven't been required to use them post surgery).

So my question this time around is whether anyone has any tips for donning the stockings. I have a cloth sock donner that is ok for knee length stockings but I don't recall it being useful for thigh length--at least in early stages when bending is severely restricted. If anyone has a specific type of sock donner that helps, let me know-- if you can't give brand name, a description will do.

I will have help for first 10 days post surgery then will be on my own.

Thanks.

Larimergirl

Last edited by Larimergirl; 08-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: TED Stockings-Tips for Putting them on

Hi LarimerGirl:
I am happy to tell you that "yes there is a sock donner for those thigh - high stockings"! I actually had one that was very large sized and made of hard plastic. It works the same as the smaller one that is for socks. I had ordered it on the Internet thinking that I might need it, but never used it. (I since have given it to Goodwill and sure hope that someone was able to use it.) I am sorry that I can't remember the name of the company or the Web Site for this gadget but I will do some research after I write this and try to find some information. I had found it while browsing for a sock donner.

I never did get any thigh - high stockings but had the knee high ones for a short time. I found the smaller plastic sock donner I had, worked very well for the elastic stockings.

I also of course used it to put on my regular socks. And to this day I still use this sock donner every day because it saves my back! I also still use the long handled shoe horn (made of sturdy metal) and the dressing stick. I see no reason to give these up because they save time, energy, and my back. I love my dressing aids!

I am glad that you will have some help for a while after your next hip surgery. With your previous experience I am sure you will do very well then when that person leaves and you are alone.

Shirley H.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi again Larimer Girl:

Use your search engine under Dressing Aids, Sock Donners etc I wasn't able to find the kind of hard plastic large sock donner that I had purchased on the Internet but maybe with further looking I will locate it. It was really great and so sturdy and simple to use.

There are some rather complicated - looking sock donners made of hard plastic - have a look at those and see what you think. The one I was looking at was very sturdy looking. Let us know what you find.

Shirley H.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Larimergirl:
Have a look at a gadget called the Jobst stocking donner. I read the information and it sounds like any length compression stocking can be put on with it.

Shirley H.

Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Shirley. One new item--surgeon has ordered a nasal ointment to be used before and after surgery.Its supposed to fight MRSA.

I'll keep you posted. It is easier to get ready the second time around, just have to pull out all my aids. Saved everything from last surgery.

Biggest task will be to clean my house ahead of time and make room in guest room for family--don't want them to think I use the guest room as a separate storage room (which of course is what I do).

I will check out the Jobst donner.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larimergirl View Post
Thanks Shirley. One new item--surgeon has ordered a nasal ointment to be used before and after surgery.Its supposed to fight MRSA.

I'll keep you posted. It is easier to get ready the second time around, just have to pull out all my aids. Saved everything from last surgery.

Biggest task will be to clean my house ahead of time and make room in guest room for family--don't want them to think I use the guest room as a separate storage room (which of course is what I do).

I will check out the Jobst donner.
Hi:
That Jobst stocking donner looks to me like it would really work well and be easy to use sitting down. It looks sturdy. I also ran across a gadget that helps pull off these compression stockings. I don't know how much of a problem that would be with the thigh-highs. The dressing stick would be good for pushing them off when you get them rolled down to the lower leg. Then you can pick up the stocking with your grabber.

Maybe someone out there has had experience with thigh-highs and can give some good tips?

Keep us posted. Good idea to clean the house well before the surgery. Do everything you can ahead of time, but then you already know that from the first hip replacement!

Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 08-06-2012 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo

Old 08-19-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

[Jobst donner turned out to be too small for my calves (have always had muscular calves so always had to wear short ankle boots intead of nice high boots)...Will try to make do with regular sock donner. So if anyone else reading this wants to use the Jobst, measure your calf against the dimensions given for the device It's solid metal and so there is no give in it.

Am surprised that no one else has tips. Some of my friends say that they didn't have to use thigh high stockings after surgery at all. Some didn't even have to use knee high TEDs. My doctor is head of orthopedic surgery at the hospital where I will have surgery done and he teaches this procedure, so I'm pretty sure he's up to date on how to handle blood clot risk, but still wondering why other doctors don't appear to insist on the high stockings.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larimergirl View Post
[Jobst donner turned out to be too small for my calves (have always had muscular calves so always had to wear short ankle boots intead of nice high boots)...Will try to make do with regular sock donner. So if anyone else reading this wants to use the Jobst, measure your calf against the dimensions given for the device It's solid metal and so there is no give in it.

Am surprised that no one else has tips. Some of my friends say that they didn't have to use thigh high stockings after surgery at all. Some didn't even have to use knee high TEDs. My doctor is head of orthopedic surgery at the hospital where I will have surgery done and he teaches this procedure, so I'm pretty sure he's up to date on how to handle blood clot risk, but still wondering why other doctors don't appear to insist on the high stockings.
Hi
So sorry the Jobst thingie is not the right size to fit your calves! I wonder if purchasing one of the hard plastic regular sock donners would be a better idea than using that cloth device? I found the hard plastic very good for the regular TEDS.

For the thigh highs I would think you could roll them up to a small circle to put them on and then gradually unroll them as you go up your leg. I myself would find the cloth sock donners very hard to use but you are probably very accustomed to them. I would think they would be very limp?

I once was given thigh highs for right after surgery but they never had to stay on very long. As you say, all doctors must have their own personal choices for after surgery clot prevention.

We will be interested, after your surgery, in hearing how the thigh high putting on is going.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I'll definitely check out the hard plastic ones. Aren't very expensive. Was able to return the Jobst one so that's ok.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #10
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Rubber gloves. I wear thigh highs and the gloves were the physiotherapy tip. Easy, cheap and replaceable.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:36 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Thanks. So just wearing rubber gloves when you put on the stockings helps. That wouldn't have occured to me! Appreciate the tip.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #12
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

I buy the cheap lightest household gloves. Cut off the arm bit to wrist and all set. The rubber slides the stockings up easily. Never leave home for a night without them....more important than the 'glamour' bits!!! Good luck with the TEDs and hip.

Reply Reply