It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
(female)

Shh1384 HB User
Insight on Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

Hi All,

I'm going to try to keep this short. I am curious to hear some stories from people regarding their experience with a tibial tubercle osteotomy.

I'm a 28 year old female and I've had pretty serious knee pain and a "giving out" sensation for about 2 years now. I didn't seek medical insight until about September of this year. Up until this point I've been focused on fixing and rehabbing my shoulders (5 surgeries due to chronic instability). Since September I've been given the advice to stop running, keep running, do lots of PT, etc. and nothing has helped. I saw my OS on Wednesday and he said that many surgeons would recommend a scope at this point to "clean up the joint" but he thinks that would be a waste of my time, that after a scope in a few years, I'd be back and need to have THIS (tibial tubercle osteotomy) anyway. He wants to go in and do it. He did say it was "elective" and that I have two choices: I give up running and sports with the exception of swimming forever, or I ahve the surgery and I'm back doing everything I want to do in a year.

Part of me feels like I gave up everything for 5 years, and had 5 surgeries to rehab my shoulders which are now finally feeling better, and to give it all up for good for some knee pain is crap. If a surgery can fix it, I should have the surgery. But part of me is skeptical. He says that all the shoulder surgeries I've had (and I've had them all) are much worse than the recovery from this, but I can't imagine that's true. I also don't know if I've really given it enough time. Even though he says two years of pain is enough, I've only been working on making it better (although it hasn't changed AT ALL) since September.

I'm curious if anyone out there has had this procedure (just the TTO without a lateral release) and what made you do it. Most of what I read is that people have done this with chronic knee dislocations for years, and I haven't had that. I've NEVER had a complete dislocation, only subluxations, and pain. The pain is bad, but I can't imagine the pain of another surgery and another year sitting on the sidelines.

Any insight anyone can provide on what the rehab is like, what motivated you to go through with it, would you do it again, etc, would really help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: Insight on Tibial Tubercle Osteotomy

I did not have a TTO, but I did have lateral releases on both knees because of kneecap subluxation. Did your surgeon say why he would choose to do the TTO instead of a lateral release? I am asking this because lateral release surgery is less invasive than a TTO. The TTO is often used as a last resort if the lateral release failed.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

Shh1384 HB User

Thanks for the reply! He said that anything besides a TTO would be a waste Of time. That I'd need this eventually anyway. He wasn't shy about saying how invasive it would be, but he did say that the recovery wasn't that bad, even easier than other surgeries I could have on my knee, albeit longer. I do trust him completely (I've had many opinions on this) l, but even with the trust, I'm still hesitant.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User

Ok. I was just curious about the reason. I had successful lateral releases in both knees despite the fact that I have an underlying disorder that should have caused the lateral releases to fail. Trusting your surgeon is important so if that is what your surgeon says you should have done, I guess you should go with it.

Reply Reply