It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
(female)

Feelwronged HB User
Thumbs down Work injury.

#funny and yea there are a few people making fun of the way I walk but I dont care much about that...Anyway I could go on and on but here is my ? What can I do about this Dr. breaking the HIPAA law by letting the workman comp lady in room before and during my treatment? Why Have the law if the Dr.s dont follow them? And how is it my fault I didnt get the treatment on time because of my employer? Im mad as hell and feel violated..Now it has gone on so long they are just now getting around to dealing with my back and hip problem created from my altered gait....I need answers and to get back to work...

Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
(female)

Feelwronged HB User
Re: Work injury.

Half of my message wasnt posted...what did i do wrong?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelwronged View Post
Half of my message wasnt posted...what did i do wrong?
Hi Feelwronged:
Good idea to preview your posting before sending it. Then you can make sure everything is included. I can't think of anything else that made just half your posting get printed.

Why not give it another try?

Shirley H.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

ldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB Userldy12 HB User

Hi there,

I know you're feeling angry and violated, but because this was a Workmen's Comp injury, your doctor actually was required to contact the Workmen's Comp people to either send you to their own doctors to evaluate your injury - known as an Independent Medical Exam or IME (since your employer will eventually be required to pay for your medical care), and Workmen's Comp Board acts as the arbitrator in Workmen's Comp cases.

They did not violate your HIPPA privacy. You probably had to sign some paperwork when you were injured and went to your own doctor, and, because you were in pain, may not have realized that the document you signed, was an authorization by you to release your medical info to the appropriate agencies or insurance companies that will be paying for your care! If you went to the Emergency Room as a result of your accident (doesn't matter whose fault it was that you were injured!), you signed in at the registration desk, a document that authorized the E.R. staff to treat you, and that your records be released to the appropriate agencies/insurance companies for payment.

I hope this explanation helps calm you down as far as feeling that your privacy may have been violated. Believe me it was not!!! Because this IS a Worker's Comp case, it was actually in your favor that the woman from the Workmen's Comp Board was in the exam room with you to protect your interests in this case!!!

Please chill out and concentrate on getting your physical problems treated ASAP. That really is more important for you right now since you are obviously in pain.

Please keep me posted on your case and your treatment!

Regards,
Carol

Last edited by Administrator; 08-08-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: more info

Old 08-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
(female)

Merrykaye HB User

Feel Wronged,
I could not see the beginning of your post - can you re-do it? I am extremely interested to hear with is going on with you and Workers' Comp. because I am in Workers' Comp. HELL too. I have re-scheduled my TLKR three times because they keep scheduleing hearings for me to attend. It has been a roller coaster planning my life around the commitment of going in for a knee replacement and then everything comes to a skreeching halt because another comp. hearing is scheduled and they deny my treatment. I am beyond frustrated and would be interested to read your whole story. Hang in there - I feel our frustration.
Karen from Buffalo, NY

Old 08-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Hi Karen,

I am curious what kind of accident you had that is holding up your ability to have your TKR surgery? Did you injure the knee in some way at work to the point that your surgeon says you need a TKR? That's kind of unusual. The most common reason one needs a TKR is for severe osteoarthritis wearing away the cartilage of the meniscus completely so that you have bone on bone pain. (which is extremely painful - been there, done that twice and had to have both my knees replaced a year apart in the past year. - right knee - 4/5/11 and left knee - 3/23/12). I'm all healed up though now, and walking normally without pain for the first time in seven years!

I'm interested in learning about your situation. I suspect you probably had the osteoarthritis brewing for a while before you got into this Worker's Comp situation.

Please let me know what is going on.

I care.

Regards,
Carol

The Following User Says Thank You to ldy12 For This Useful Post:
Merrykaye (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

Merrykaye HB User

Hi Carol and thank you for caring!!! My TKR is not needed due to the comp. case. I tore my meniscus back in the 1970's playing field hockey in school. I had my first surgery then (not arthriscopic at that time). Over the years, subsequent tears, and arthritis prompted me to have three additional surgeries to the left knee. Now, I am bone-on-bone and the arthritis is causing my knee to deform inward. I fell in the work parkinglot in 2003 and landed on the bad knee; I twisted the bad knee in 2006 going up stairs at work and the most recent was that I fell and landed on both right and left knees last summer. I believe that the left knee actually gave out in this past accident. So currently, I am stuck in workers' compensaiton Hell. I have attended three hearings and not much has happened at each one, other than that another hearing is scheduled about a month away. My last hearing was to be on August 7th and my lawyer had requested approval for the TKR, however, we changed Workers' comp. carriers, so this last hearing was cancelled. I have calmed down and after cancelling the 8/27 surgery, I will not re-schedule until I know that the surgery has been approved. It has been a roller coaster emotionally since I keep planning my personal and work life around the surgery and then I have to start over. So that is the story. So tell me Carol, is the surgery worth it??? You sound like you did very well. I am really hoping that this will be worth the wait. I am very limited at the gym; stairs are horrible, and I am beginning to get numbness and tingling in my left ankle and lower leg - I think a nerve is starting to act up due to the knee deforming. I am praying that I can get the surgery done and will be happy I went through all of this!!!
Karen
Buffalo, NY

Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Hi Karen!

First of all, sorry the worker's comp situation is messing up your ability to schedule your TKR surgeries. Hopefully that will get resolved next month and you'll get approval for the surgeries.

And YES, it is absolutely worth it to have the TKR surgery! Since you are now bone on bone, particularly in the left knee, you know how painful that is. Getting a prosthetic knee will make that pain go away completely (eventually, that is, after physical therapy).

It IS major surgery, so keep in mind that your knees will be sore from being worked on to put the prosthetic knees in place! For most patients, it takes about 3 months for that surgical soreness/pain to go away via the physical therapy rehab. I can't stress the importance of doing absolutely everything your surgeon and physical therapist ask of you both pre and post TKR surgery to get the kind of excellent outcomes that I did! I followed my surgeon's instructions to a T and it paid off. He did HIS part in the O.R. and I did mine in rehab. Now I'm walking normally and balanced on two nice new stable knees without pain, for the first time in seven years! It feels great!

Just look at the surgeries as the "light at the end of the tunnel" and you'll do just fine.

Once you get the surgeries scheduled after settling the worker's comp situation, if you have any questions of what to expect post surgery, feel free to ask away.

Regards,
Carol

Last edited by ldy12; 08-12-2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Reply Reply