It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

Maid Mary HB User
How long before the knee will bend?

I am a 58 year old female who had TKR on June 25th 2012 on my right knee. I had an osteotomy inmy twenties and surgery twice for a torn miniscus. My recovery has progressed very well and I am at 115 degrees with a little stretching. It is now been seven weeks but going up and down stairs is a bit difficult. I can't seem to bend my knee without a great deal of pain. Icn't seem to end it any further. Am I just expecting too much too soon? Is there an exercise that will really help more? I did physically therapy and the doctor thought that I could do it on my own as it is quite a distance for me nadir was putting a lot of strain on the knee. Can anyone help who is further along than I am?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
(male)

Joe T HB User
Re: How long before the knee will bend?

My TKR was done 6-11-2012,and I have found that riding an exercise bike is a big help building up your leg muscles.I recently purchased a recumbent type,and noticed in short order my leg getting stronger.
Hope this helps.

P.S. I am at 125,and I can straighten my leg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

Thomasena HB User

I too had my tar on 6-11-12 but I am only at 93. Doctor says I have scar tissue and therapist have been bending the knee to break it up. I can no longer tolerate the excruiating pain when the therapist bends it. I was thinking MUA and have been reading a lot. I think I would rather continue the aggressive exercise on my own than to go through MUA or the therapist continuing the bend. My pain threshold is low and I have anxiety attacks when she gets to that point in therapy. I did read riding a stationary bike along with other excesses and good nutrition will help. Do I necessarily have to have the scar tissue broken up or removed? Both of you are doing great compared to me. But of course no two persons heal the same.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
(female)

Maid Mary HB User

I have also had four surgeries on my hand- two for scar tissue so I think I know how extensive and aggressive it can be. My hand therapist suggested that I get a pencil with a strong extra rubber eraser and work on the scar tissue with it. I have been working on my knee as well and it seems to help. I need to just keep working on it and use my stationary bike. Thanks for all the advice and I'll keep working at it. Even my doctor said it might be better if I work at it instead of hurting and twisting it at physical therapy sessions.

Thanks for all the suggestions and for letting me know how it is going for you!

Reply Reply