It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
(male)

JGoodwin HB User
Slow Recovery from Arthroscopy

Hi,

I had a menisectomy and my cartilage debrided for a grade 2/3 lesion 2.5 months ago.

My symptons are far worse than before the surgery and I can no longer walk or cycle without joint line pain.

Has anybody else had something similar and a positive outcome.

Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

barbjean13 HB User
Re: Slow Recovery from Arthroscopy

I had the same procedures done in January. I had both a medial and lateral tear. My knee has been so much worse than it was before. I still have a knife like pain in the lateral side. It is swollen and stiff and makes a crackling sound when I move it. I had been playing alot of pickleball before and cannot do it anymore which really annoys me. On top of that, the doctor who did the surgery retired before I could even talk to him about it. Had a new MRI done which still shows a lateral tear. I am having the procedure redone in two weeks and praying that it makes it better. Have you had another MRI done? 2.5 months is actually not that long. My doctor who is doing the upcoming surgery said lateral menisectomies take longer to heal than medial. Is that where your tear was? Barb

Last edited by Administrator; 08-22-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
(male)

JGoodwin HB User

I have not had another MRI done but may ask when I see the consultant in september. Mine was a medial tear.

Good luck with the 2nd op.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Thanks. Hope yours ends up healing on its own. Post sometime and let us know how it goes.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
(female)

aqua12 HB User

Hi I have had several arthroscopies (menisectomy's and my kness debrided), so I feel I understand your frustration. I feel an arthroscopy is often considered a relatively minor proceedure, and while surgically it usually is, recovery on both occossions for me was far slower than I expected. I believe alot has to do with whether the menisectomy was required as a result of 'injury' or 'disease'. My case is Osteoarthritis and I would say it took at least 3-4 mths before I felt the proceedure started showing any real benefits. I therefore feel you need to try and be alittle more patient, and I can't emphasise the importance of taking things slowly, allowing your knee to heal inside, whilst ensuring you continue to maintain muscle tone and strength. Good luck hope you start to feel the benefits of the surgery soon.

Last edited by aqua12; 09-07-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
(female)

mamatofour HB User

I had a torn cartilage and microfracture surgery the end of june and have only 90-98* range of motion (it has decreased 8* in a two week time) . . he said I should comfortably be at 110* and since I can't get past the hump, he feels that PT has done all it can for me. (and a repeat MRI last week only showed a bit of joint effusion but nothing else) So no I am going in for manipulation and if he feels reistance while I am under, he is going to scope it out and clean up the scar tissue. I am usually one to have a quick recovery and be able to bounce back like nothing happened but not this time! Sooo frustrating!!

Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Hi all, just revisited this thread. You have all had your share of problems. Interesting to hear different stories about miniscus problems and arthroscopy. I am just recovering from my second one. Had it five days ago. Seems like it is better than the one I had in January, but too early to tell if that nagging pain in the lateral knee has been resolved. Worst part was going to the doc on Friday. He thought it was too swollen so used one of those whopping big syringes to drain it. I will do anything not to have that done again, even standing on my head for awhile if I have to. Doc said he cleaned up several lateral tears and arthritis. Just praying it works this time. Take care all, Barb

Old 09-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
(male)

JGoodwin HB User

Thanks for the replies. Recovery has virtualy stalled so not confident at the moment.

Hopefully your recoveries go better than mine

Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodwin View Post
Thanks for the replies. Recovery has virtualy stalled so not confident at the moment.
That is too bad that you are still not recovering from your procedure. You said you might have another MRI in September. Have you had it yet? Just wondering if they might have seen something else. I am recovering much, much better with this one than the last one. I am wondering if it has something to do with the fact that in January, the doctor had me use an immobilizer for at least a week. It wasn't until a week after that they gave me the simple exercises to do. This time, no immobilizer and they had me start the exercises two days post op. It is only Day 6 and I am not using crutches any more. I am hoping this is a good sign that things might actually have been fixed this time. Please let us know how you do with the MRI.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
(male)

JGoodwin HB User

Hi,

I saw my consultant who would like me to do another month of physio and said he will get me to have another MRI if no improvement.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Good luck with it all. It can get frustrating, but hopefully the physio will help you recover.

Reply Reply