It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
(male)

sleestak33 HB User
Post ACL repair... problems straightening knee

Had this surgery in 1990 and never was able to fully straighten my left knee which has ultimately culminated in variety of severe health problems (both of my big toes are fused with calcium buildup from a defective gait, back problems, and now sciatic pain from 2 bulging discs). Wondering if it's even possible after 22 years to consider physical therapy to try to finally straighten this leg out otherwise I see my health just getting worse as I grow older.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Post ACL repair... problems straightening knee

Most commonly, inability to straighten the knee is caused by swelling. (Yes, swelling can last years.) Or, there could be a mechanical obstruction. Go to an orthopedist and find out. If it's just swelling or lack of sufficient rehab, you might be able to straighten it out with treatment.

On the other hand, there may be better ways of managing a limited range of motion. I also have trouble straightening my knee sometimes, so I wear a rigid brace with metal. It's a big ugly clunky thing, but somehow it makes my stride more normal and prevents my knee from irritating my back and opposite hip so much.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
sleestak33 (08-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #3
(male)

sleestak33 HB User
Re: Post ACL repair... problems straightening knee

Thanks for responding...yeah I never had physical therapy after the surgery and it wasn't emphasized to me enough to straighten it out. It's either the new ligament they put in or scar tissue that's causing me to not get full extension but I feel like at this point if I don't get it straight, as active as I am, that the rest of my life is just going to lead to further health problems. I'll probably see a physical therapist next week.

Last edited by sleestak33; 08-19-2012 at 11:45 AM.

Reply Reply

Tags
acl, acl rehab, back problems, knee problems