It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
(male)

SnowboarderX HB User
Unhappy Osgood-Schlatter

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Anyway, I have Osgood-Schlatter on my right knee, according to my doctor. I feel immense pain when I put pressure on it or hit it. Thing is, it's supposed to go away after a few months, right?

I've had this condition for three years. At first, I ignored it. I kept up with my sports and pushed through. Eventually I asked a doctor. They told me it was normal and would go away. That was two years ago. Now I've pretty much given up on getting rid of it.

I still continue in my physical activities. Lots of working out. Varsity Volleyball and Marine Fitness in school. I push through the pain I feel, but I still feel like I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. I'd like to heal my knee once and for all so I can finally get back to being able to jump without feeling a sharp pain in my leg.

My doctor told me to rest, ice, and elevate it. I tried that. It didn't work. And I couldn't keep out of sports forever. So I joined back up and kept at it. Is there any way; any way at all, that I can fix this problem? Thank you so much for hearing me out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

MomofPatient HB User
Re: Osgood-Schlatter

My understanding is that the pain will stop when you stop growing. Until then there will be pain commensurate with your level of activity. About all you can do is RICE (rest, ice, compress, and elevate) on an on-going basis and also stretch the muscles above and below your knee before any sports activity. Also, wearing knee pads (the volleyball/basketball type) will protect you from bumps to the painful area and perhaps offer a bit of compression. My husband and son both went through this and it's not fun at all; congrats to you for not letting it stop your activity.

The Following User Says Thank You to MomofPatient For This Useful Post:
SnowboarderX (09-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
(female)

Brainfogbetty HB User
Re: Osgood-Schlatter

I'm a 47 yo female and I developed Osgood Slatters about 3 years ago in both knees. I'm not an athlete, but I do a lot of hard work, but it's certainly not repetitive. I don't know how I got this, but it does hurt quite a bit. Feels like I'm kneeling on marbles in each of my knees. Dr. says I can get them shaved, but says there's a good chance they will grow back.

Reply Reply