It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
(male)

ricpope HB User
tkr date on 9/17/2012

the fear is getting to me. i saw a tkr on the television and WOW. i am going to have it but, i am scared!!! i have waited 5 years for the surgery, my dr said i was too young at 44. i am having one this year and one next year. (maybe)
i hope the pain goes away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
(male)

Joe T HB User
Re: tkr date on 9/17/2012

Hang in there my man.I just turned 75,and I had my TKR done almost three months ago. I am still healing,but the pain is gone and I would do it again.
The operation looks scary,but you will be asleep and won't feel a thing.
Just do your rehab,and you will be fine.

Last edited by Joe T; 09-01-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
(male)

ricpope HB User

well i am post TKR. left the hospital , i could walk (slowly). got home and then the fun started. the first day i walked any time i thought i wanted to. the second day i could barely move. the heal would not touch the floor. i am thinking some thing is wrong, it is not supposed to be like this. so i did no rehab and walked as little as possible. 6 days later was the first therapy appt. i have lost most of my range and flex. the PT tells me you are to young for this not to work for you. YOU must work the leg and knee. walk at least once every hour you are awake, and flex the muscles in you r leg. if you do not work it we will not rehab it. that was yesterday. now it is walking every hour. my knee and i have a compromise, i put weight on you and keep the heel to toe motion and you take it. the knee responded with it is going to hurt. so hurt it does, but we both are doing our part. wish me luck.
Ricky

Old 09-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
(male)

Joe T HB User

Ricky,

Rehab is a very big part of your recovery.My Doc had me doing exercises on the first day.I am almost four months now,and still not fully recovered.Rehab cut me loose at 3 months,with my flex at 125,and I am able to straighten my leg.
Keep working at your rehab,and you will be fine.

Best of luck to you.

Joe T

Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
(male)

ricpope HB User

had a roguh night of sleep, tossing and turning, woke up extremely sore and extremely stiff. not gonna let that get me down.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User

That's the attitude keep plugging away with the exercises, I slept the 1st 6 weeks in my recliner. Now 2 years post Op and all is well.

Best of luck,
Glenn

Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #7
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

My surgery is next week. My surgeon ordered a CPM for me to use at home after my hospital discharge, to keepy knee bending between exercise and stretching sessions, and discourage scar tissue formation, that's my understanding anyway. Something you may want to ask about?

Good luck.with your recovery.

PS: Your original post is why I will not watch an operation video!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User

I had a CPM machine as well for 1 month at home, it certainly helped but for me the outpatient PT was the best thing for my recovery. The improvements were exponential once I started PT.

Good luck
Glenn

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glennxyz For This Useful Post:
ricpope (10-10-2012), Tampa Mom (10-01-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #9
(male)

ricpope HB User

woke up with the most horrific pain, i felt the leg go tight and then the scream and then the pain. or something like that. i know it hurt . that was 2 hours ago. it is 3:25 am. so this is what the knee does to me. ok the pain is a lot less than when i started. i get the staples out in the morning. the other thing is i ran out of pain meds. by six hours. that is when i am do in the office. since i cant drive . if i could i would go there at 8 am and pick up the meds. i had to cut the dose in half just to make it. this rehab, pain, medication, sleep, pain, ice , rehab , pain medication cycle has caused me to lose track of time and days. i am so glad i wrote the rehab dates on the calendar. at least when i mark the days i am somewhat current. this is great ride . i wish i could have done it 5 or 6 years ago.

also thanks for being here!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
(female)

Wink Re: tkr date on 9/17/2012

My Tri knee was installed Wed., and they say they'll let me go home tomorrow (Saturday). Got a slow start due to uncontrolled nausea from the layered anesthesia and pain meds. Today is first day I didn't throw up, yea! CPM is now at 60 degrees, walker use is ok, now with the right meds (pain and anti n) I am feeling more hopeful, but still can't pick up my own leg.

The following user gives a hug of support to Tampa Mom:
ricpope (10-06-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
(male)

ricpope HB User

you know when i think of the first week post op. my god. i was sure i made a big mistake, and i could not change it. the second week i tried to dodge all of the pain ab=nd did not do my post op exercises. the third week the knee is bearing weight, i tolerate walking, i do not wake up as much, taking less pain meds, the exercises are getting easier to do ( i have to remember that if i do not work this knee i will not get any better) i could not lift my leg for about 12 days, now i can lift it and turn it. this is the best decision i have made about my knee. it just takes time. watch out for the depression. you will do fine. ( i know , from a person who was so afraid)
every one heals differently. keep using the cpm machine it does help, when you get out of the hospital you may not get to keep using it and then you have to bend that knee.
do the richard simmoms chant: Bend and Stretch , relax , bend and stretch ( chant it to yourself)
have a great day!

The Following User Says Thank You to ricpope For This Useful Post:
Tampa Mom (10-06-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #12
(male)

ricpope HB User

after PT on friday , man i was in pain. they had to stretch the knee to see if it was frozen. that hurt. i now know why i was supposed to get the knee flat . now the other part is to get the knee to bend. both of these are important to the recovery process. if your insurance limits your pt you will be on your own. do not give up. bend and stretch! rest. bend and stretch! we can do it! it is still very stiff when i wake up. working the stiffness out takes a lot less time now. do you exercises. stretch before you get up. walk every hour. even if it hurts. heel to toe.

these are things i have had to learn the hard way. if i want FULL use of the knee i will work it . have a great day!

also look out for the depression. every one heals differently. do not compare yourself.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #13
(female)

I was liberated this afternoon from the hospital, 5 days after surgery. Pain, stiffness, and general frustration! Still seeking balance between pain control and nausea. Six new prescriptions including one to address my apparent allergy to lambskin. Home health and PT starts this week. Trying a muscle relaxant tonight to reduce cramping and spasms. The foot of my operated leg is fat, ugh!

Old 10-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
(male)

ricpope HB User

welcome to the other side! it can only get better. today i walked a half mile with the walker. two weeks ago i could not get across the room. i know it hurts but every day it hurts a little less. after the staples are removed then you will start to see your progress. i know it is slow. remember DO NOT JUDGE YOUR PROGRESS ON THE PROGRESS OF OTHERS!
this will cause frustration, and depression. two things to stay away from. it is hard enough not being able to do simple things. hope your caregiver is compassionate. it makes it a lot easier. i wish i had built up my muscle before i had the surgery. all in all it is the best thing that has happened to my knee in fifteen years. i hope the one hour of sleep and the five hours of awake change. for now i will not complain.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #15
(female)

It's nice to get the perspective of other patients. I am strapped in my home CPM, writing this on my smartpdone so pardon typos. I have sharp shooting pains i inside of my knee, one of the problems I had pre surgery. CPM up to,98 degrees. Reduced my pain pills and side effects but miss them!

Reply Reply