HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Knee & Hip Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/)
-   -   help anybody for continual suspected meniscus (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/knee-hip-problems/916597-help-anybody-continual-suspected-meniscus.html)

sportygal 08-31-2012 10:18 AM

help anybody for continual suspected meniscus

i would really like to hear from anyone who has experienced this or has knowledge. Back in February this year, i was doing my usal very very light (5kilos) weights when doing half squats. got twinges on outside of my right knee (never had before), so stopped and didnt do that activity again but found this outer knee pain just got worse and worse. Had to stop running 9it wasn't very painful but i didnt want to aggravate it), but after 4 weeks no improvements. Eventually, at 6 weeks examined by consultant orthopaedic, by this time I started to suspect I might have lateral knee meniscus problem, Ortho guy dismissed this, even his McMurray testing etc did not reproduce the pain (in his office BUT I WAS in pain for the follwoing 5 days). Severely limiting my actvities since then, (prior to this a recent fitness testing showed I had excellent lung voxmasx health, 30% better than predicted for my age). he said it was likely patellar trcking and to re-introduce activities gradually. 8 weeks later I apid to see another Consultant ortho, same thing, he couldn't reproduce the pain in his office, said I should get an MRI. MRI done in August, told by a Phsyio who rang me up with the results that the report said there was nothing abnormal and no sign of meniscal tear. I was doing better with it by the time I got round to the MRI, I was able to speedwalk very very fast for 30 minutes at a time and no pain. Was hopeful everything was okay, BUT 6 days ago, doing very lightleg presses in gym (for quads), only 5k, no pain at time, but everysingle day for all the time I have had continusous outer knee pain in that same spot. I am begining to think i am one of those people where an MRI hasn't captured the tears. i am dreading going back to doctors as know it will be an arthroscpy next, I totally dread thought of a tear and meniscal trim, I KNOE this would mess up my knee for yeards to come as far as being able to do things like running and what for me is normal sports, any ideas anbody please???

Robbie201 09-01-2012 05:00 AM

Re: help anybody for continual suspected meniscus

Hello,

I have had similar pain whilst at boot camp and running training. The pain was spasmodic but when it was there it was really painful. I didn't bother getting it investigated and stupidly of me, didn't reduce my physical activity either. I recently went to my local GP to find out what this pain was all about. The doc sent me off for an anthrogram CT scan (where they inject dye into your knee before carrying out the CT scan) and the scan found that I had a small undersurface partial thickness tear of the edge of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus and moderate, high grade partial thickness chondral fissuring in the medial and lateral patellar articular cartilage and that there was also lateral patellar subluxation and tilt. I have not yet been back to my local GP to have this translated to me (I go on Tuesday) but what I can make of it is that there is a slight tear in the meniscus and that the cartilage under my knee cap is wearing away. The tilt is that the tendon/muscle over my knee cap is too tight and there is fluid present under my knee cap. I don't know if my translation is correct but I can let you know after tuesday. If they cannot find a tear in your MRI's it might just be that your ligaments are being pinched my something. I would take the weights to your doc next time you go and do the exercise that annoys your knee in front of him. I have used hot packs on my knee and anti inflammatory creams but I did not rest my knee which was really dumb of me. I just can't handle the idea of not being able to do my exercises. I have done some research on anthroscopy and it doesn't seem to be that bad in that it doesn't really limit you afterwards. One that has it done just has to take it slowly in getting back into physical activities. I don't know if any of this helps but I hope you find out what is going on. Have you asked your doc if it could be referred pain from a pinched nerve or something?

sportygal 09-01-2012 06:42 AM

Thanks Robbie, I appreciate your reply, I'm sorry to hear about the rough time you've been having, how long has it been a problem? For myself, the problem with an arthroscopy is that invetiably, when a doc sees something they will end up 'trimming' some part of my mesnicus, this treatment almost certainly leads to OA of the knee at some later date, there are more sophisticated operations out there (or so I read), but I have no idea of how good those will be at solving meniscal probs and reducing (as opposed to increasing) future risk of OA in the knee. it just seems to be a minefield, and here in the UK it is very difficult to get optimum treatment on the NHS, even if you can pay, it is still incredibly hard to know who to trust and what to do!!!

barbjean13 09-03-2012 06:11 AM

[COLOR="Purple"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B]I had an MRI over a year ago which did not show any tears in the meniscus. But, my knee continued to be very painful and was keeping me from the sports I had enjoyed. In January, I had an arthroscopy to investigate what was going on, as the doctor said there was really no other way to determine what was causing the pain. I had a medial and lateral tear, which he said he cleaned up. I still have not really recovered from it. Knee is stiff, swollen and crackles when I move it. I still have the original pain in the lateral side which I had before. I am so discouraged by the whole thing. The doctor ended up retiring right after doing my surgery. I really feel he messed it up. I am now having another surgery on Wednesday to repair a lateral tear, which this time did show up on an MRI. I just think it was never repaired the first time. I am really hopeful that this doctor may be able to get me back to being able to do the things I have had to give up. If the resulting arthritis doesn't put a lid on that. Hard to know what to do, but I cannot keep living with the pain as it is, so I feel the best course is to try again. Good luck with your meniscus problems. [/B][/FONT][/COLOR]