It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
(female)

I still hurt HB User
Question Was I a guinea pig?

My hip arthroscopy did not take away the pain and all hip movements are still so painful--2 years after surgery. Do you think the Dr. messed up; and where should I go from here?? Anyone out there that can help me???

Last edited by I still hurt; 09-01-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Was I a guinea pig?

Hi there -- welcome!

I tore my right labrum at age 14, undiagnosed until age 29. I've had three hip scopes, and my first doctor was a general orthopedic surgeon who definitely was in over his head. He was the only doctor in the state doing hip scopes. My second and third hip scopes revealed damage that the first doctor didn't even notice and delamination of the acetabular cartilage from the bone. I'm still hoping to be able to walk more than a lock without pain -- seven years since my first surgery.

You need a thorough work-up from a good doctor -- like an orthopedic sports medicine doctor. You might still have hip damage; you might have contemporaneously damaged a disc in your back. Back injuries are often the culprit of unresolved pain, since all of the nerves originate in the back. If the nerve from your back is damaged, it will feel like the pain is in your hip/leg/foot. If the hip is still the only problem, then you might have damage that wasn't addressed in your first surgery. I hope things get better for you!

The following user gives a hug of support to SweetPeainSF:
I still hurt (09-03-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
I still hurt (09-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

I still hurt HB User

Thank you so much-you actually gave me goosebumps knowing there still might be help out there! I understand about trying to walk without pain; do you use a cane? I do, it helps, once you get over the stigma. Worker's Comp just gave me a scooter last month, my lord the independence it gave me back! Again, thank you--this is my first time talking about this on-line and I meet you! WOW I got extremely lucky!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I don't use a cane, but maybe I should! I have tried to keep everything as normal as before, but have ended up compensating despite my best efforts. Some things to avoid: sitting in a closed-seated position (as you would sit in a car) will cause your hip pain to increase. If you can't recline your chair, you may tend toward slumping in your seat to open up the angle of the hip. This practice could end up being counter-productive, as you can hurt your back. I strongly believe that this practice contributed to the full-thickness tear in my L4-L5 disc. (I had this spine segment fused, which led to other complications.) Now, I try to sit on the edge or corner of a chair, so I can stretch my legs toward the floor, but keep my back straight. I have a saddle-chair at work which is super-helpful.

Also, I tend to rotate my hip forward and backward as I'm walking. It hurts when I try to step forward with the unaffected leg, while pushing off with the affected leg. I rotate my hip rather than allow the weight to transmit through the front of my hip. It tooks years of observation and a physical therapist with a Doctorate in PT with a fancy zero-gravity treadmill (called "Alter-G") to figure this out. She said that her practice group had postulated that patients with hip pain would exhibit this gait, but I was their first confirmation.

The problem with this gait pattern is that it engages the muscles in the lower back as the affected hip is coming backward. For me, this overuse of the back muscles contributes to the muscle spasms I've had in my lower back. Taking shorter steps or an assistive device (like a cane) may be helpful. Right now, I can walk about twenty steps (ten steps with the affected leg) before my hip screams NO! I have been focusing on increasing this range, knowing that it will probably take years before I can walk correctly. If you can refrain from altering your gait, you may have better luck in returning to normal activity quickly.

I've learned that I need to educate myself about my own health issues, which fortunately are mostly orthopedic in nature. Some nerve entrapment, nerve damage, etc., but no cardiovascular problems, fortunately! The one thing that has been most helpful is being in the water. I was a swimmer as a kid, so I can still get in the water and get a good workout, which helps with the cardio and to keep the weight off. (I've gained about 20 pounds in the last year, so I've now started the process of getting rid of them -- down 5 so far. Sadly, it's a struggle, as I'm taking two different medications that can cause weight gain.)

I have also done things as simple as just walking in the water to practice a correct gait without pain. If you have access to a pool, I would use it as much as possible. If I think of anything else I've learned, I'll let you know. Hips are super-tricky, as there can be so many other issues that cause pain the hip area: bursitis, sciatica, general nerve impingement, certain hernias, piriformis syndrome, SI joint inflammation, so best to get a full work-up by a good sports medicine doctor to rule out other problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
I still hurt (09-04-2012)
Reply Reply