It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
(female)

Aynneone HB User
Put this originally in Arthritis Forum, but think this is where I should be.. apologi

Hello all and thank you for having me. Im Anne from Co Wicklow Ireland, and just desperate for any advice..ideas, help, anything.. Im at my wits end here. 6 mths ago, one Wednesday evening I developed a burning type of skin pain across my right thigh, and when I looked realised the top of my right thigh was swollen. I hate doctors with a passion but this alarmed me so went the following day, she looked, yes she could see a disparity with my left leg, but nothing sinister, possibly stress related (I had, in the middle of the night 2 nights previously walked, while asleep into a very sharp table corner, but had no bruising)..I was dismissed. Then followed a period of burning tingling feelings, back to doctor, sent for hip xray, came back virtually normal. Sent for MRI, also came back normal, then took myself off to physio who was visibly shocked at the swelling she could see running across top of right thigh and under right buttock. Had 5 sessions with her of differential heat and ultra sound, she was convinced it was bursa related, but there was no improvement. Was referred to rheumatologist, she actually measured the top of my thigh and noted an 8' disparity between right and left leg, again thought it was bursa, and thought she could see fluid on MRI. Took it to consult with her colleagues, took two and a half weeks of chasing to get in contact with her, she suddenly thought, no, its not fluid, its inflammation!! but Im pretty distraught at this stage. I cannot sit, tho my job is sitting all day, the swelling is restricting me to one pair of trousers that still fit that leg. I cant lie on the right hand side at night, Im tearful and so tired of this..pain is the wrong word, I could sell prescriptions for painkillers that are really of no use to me.. Its a tingling burning but most of all, heavy feeling with pain on top of hip bursa, and mainly in the crease under the buttock and middle of buttock, and actually the outside of the knee......So went back to her again, she ordered another MRI, with contrast this time.. When I turned up the radiologist refsued the contrast, said it wouldnt add anything to the findings... In the meantime she decided to inject cortisone into the hip bursa 2 weeks ago, which has made no difference whatsoever, and finally, this morning, I get a letter from her to say the 2nd MRI is clear... I honestly just feel like packing it all in... It feels so horrible, it looks so horrible, I dont know where to go to now, who to turn to, the swelling is just increasing, both ontop of the hip joint, but running across into the buttock, and at times down the leg to my outer knee.........Please...anyone??.... just feel if I knew what it was I could deal with it, but noone wants to know anymore.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Put this originally in Arthritis Forum, but think this is where I should be.. apo

Make them check your spine.

That kind of burning pain you mention, that painkillers don't help, that sounds like nerve pain. If you have a problem in your lower back, it sometimes produces pain in the thigh. It's worth looking into, anyway.

Reply Reply