It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
(female)

mamatofour HB User
Hard lump causing popping in knee after arthroscopic surgery

I posted this earlier but we are having a hard time finding any answers online from other websites and everyone here seems to have great advice June 26th I had arthroscopic knee surgery for a cartilage tear that they did microfractures to to help regrow the cartilage. I am just over 2 months post op and had a degree of motion from 5* to 98* (when pushing it) One day, my knee was bent back hard pushing it several degrees past what it was able to go on my own and right around 24 hours later I began having a 'popping' sensation like something was directly next to my lateral incision (just a tiny bit to the left of it). It isn't the joint itself popping but to the outside as if something is getting 'caught' in there??? I can feel something 'harder' in there when I bend my knee a certain way that isn't squishy that I assume is causing the popping sensation when I walk. It is now to the point I am regressing and can't bend it when I walk properly so my limp is even worse and the O.S suggested I go back on crutches if it is painful. I had an MRI on thursday but have to wait until I go back in to get the results. The P.T. was stopped per the therapists request since she has no idea what is going on and wants to 'save' my sessions for when we figure out what it is. One person suggested scar tissue but then another said it wouldn't show up one day out of the blue (more so if it were scar tissue, it would be slowly getting worse since day 1 after surgery) so we are narrowing it down that it happened after my knee was bent back so hard. Any ideas what it could be?? Doctor thinks lateral meniscus tear but I am doubtful that is what it is ....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
(female)

barbjean13 HB User
Re: Hard lump causing popping in knee after arthroscopic surgery

I will be very curious to see what your MRI shows. I just had my second arthroscopy on Wednesday. I had one done in January because of pain similar to what you are describing in the lateral part of the knee. Had the surgery and was told that I had medial and lateral tears as well as some arthritis. My knee never got better. Very stiff, crackly and swollen, but that same lateral pain was there. Like you, it was a popping type of pain. Almost a snap like a rubber band. It really has kept me from my activities. When I was in PT, they felt it was the tibiopatellar joint that was subluxating and they would try to work it back into place, which was not the most pleasant procedure. Well, yada, yada, the pain never really cleared up. First doc who did it retired and I saw someone else who is pretty sure, after another MRI, that it was lateral tears causing it. So, I jumped off a cliff again and had it redone. The doc says I had several lateral tears. No answer as to whether they were just not fixed the first time. I find doctors hesitant to throw another doc under the bus. So, right now, I am waiting for it to heal to see if that pain is really gone. I surely hope so, or I will be at the end of my rope. So, long story short, you may want to look up info about that tibiopatellar joint. Good luck, Barb

Last edited by barbjean13; 09-10-2012 at 06:05 AM.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:12 PM   #3
(male)

Bowze1220 HB User
Re: Hard lump causing popping in knee after arthroscopic surgery

I'm having the same popping issue after getting my torn miniscus cleaned up/repaired. I was sent for a second MRI and they say no additional tears. I got a second opinion and the doctor said it is most likely two bone spures that are causing the issue. I'm 40 and the doc says to not plan on running ever again due to the spurs and arthritis. He says surgery again may not help at all, shaving down the spures may cause further instability. Before the minor miniscus surgery I was running full speed and playing soccer, now it hurts to run. I'm struggling with what this doctor said and am looking for feedback from the last two posts or anyone else in a similar position.

Reply Reply