It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

FarmWife11 HB User
Red face Twisted Knee

About two weeks ago, I stepped off of something and tweaked my L knee. I was wearing an OTC purchased brace to help keep the knee in place and the pain down. About four days after that, I stepped in a hole large enough for my foot and twisted at the knee as I went down. I was wearing the brace at the time. I twisted wrong and think I tore something. I went to the doc and ortho the next day. They did xrays and nothing is broken. It was painful, swollen, and there was fluid on the knee. The PA started his exam trying my range of motion and pushing on the sore spots. He had me in tears it hurt so bad. He then told me that he couldn't determine anything or wouldn't do an MRI because he couldn't complete the exam. He said he could complete the exam because I was in pain and he couldn't do what he wanted for this exam. It sounded like a load of crap to me. I wouldn't have been there if there wasn't something wrong. I go back to see him tomorrow and I'm not sure what to expect.

It hurts on the inside of the knee along the patella. It is difficult to keep the swelling down. I can straighten the knee, but not bend it. I have yet to get it to a 90 degree angle. I have walked a few steps but it throbs behind the knee cap afterwards.

Has anyone had similar situations or pain after injury? What did you find out?

Old 09-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
(female)

mamatofour HB User
Re: Twisted Knee

That sounds like a horrible doctor. Any doctor that refuses like that because you are in pain and wants to send you home, isn't a doctor that needs to be practicing IMO. My doctor did tests on me for range of motion, pressing on sore spots (checking for joint line tenderness) and I wasn't able to bend my knee past 90* if I was lucky.I had 2 sets of X-rays (nothing was broken) and an MRI. Would you believe the MRI also showed nothing! But because I had a great doctor, he knew that technology wasn't 100% and he also knew that pain = something wrong and listened to ME, not just technology. And when I went to PT and nothing changed (and I had swelling that was hard to keep down as well) he agreed that doing arthroscopic surgery was our best bet since all conservative methods failed. (including a steroid shot ... which was more painful and caused more issues for me personally after I got it than before!) Turns out I had a piece of cartilage that was torn down to the bone. Then it would get flapped into the joint on certain movements. He cut it out, fractured the bone to allow it to regrow. (sorry to ramble. lol)

My point being that the doctor is yoru best bet at getting the cause / problem fixed and figured out. I would say find a new doctor. One like mine that realizes that you are not going there for fun, but to be OUT of pain and wanting the problem fixed. Insist on an MRI and if he wont' give you one, try to go for a second opinion. I look at reviews online of docs and choose that way (just a suggestion Sounds like it could be something torn inside and if things like PT, rest, etc dont' help, then see if he will scope it. In the very very least, you sprained somethign which isn't good either! Do the R.I.C.E method meantime and don't stop until you get answers.......always remember that YOU employ HIM, and he needs to work and do for you what you NEED. Don't ever be afraid to get a different opinion. He should never give up because you are in too much pain to do the normal exam. That is when he should open his eyes and realize you need more serious interventions asap

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

FarmWife11 HB User

Thanks for the info! He paid attention yesterday since there was no improvement. I go for an MRI next week. He thinks there is a medial meniscus tear. Sounds like fun. I'm not sure what will happen next.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Don't do what I did and ignore the injury for years... I had what sounds like a similar injury and we had no insurance so I left it to heal on its own and limped around. Six months of shooting pain on the inside of my knee, and I have a lump of (presumably) scar tissue which aches and swells whenever I'm on my feet more than a few minutes at a time. At this point I would have ignored it forever because it's as healed as its ever going to get, but it's affecting my hip and I'm getting tired of limping. So I'm going to the ortho next week...

Reply Reply

Tags
knee, patella