It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

FarmWife11 HB User
Medial Meniscus Tear

Has anyone ever experienced this? Did you have to have surgery? What was recovery like? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear

I tore mine in 1973. The treatment at the time was removal. I was told scare tissue would form, and take its place. Not true.

After interim surgeries in the late 80s and 90s, I just had a TKR. I understand now the goal is to repair/attempt to salvage and retain the medial meniscus. Keep it if you can!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

I tore mine in 1973. The treatment at the time was removal. I was told scar tissue would form, and take its place. Not true.

After interim surgeries in the late 80s and 90s, I just had a TKR. I understand now the goal is to repair/attempt to salvage and retain the medial meniscus. Keep it if you can!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmWife11 View Post
Has anyone ever experienced this? Did you have to have surgery? What was recovery like? Any info would be appreciated.
I had it earlier this year. I had surgery for it in March. I also had cervical spine surgery in January. The post op pain for the cervical spine surgery was less than the knee. That's because you have tons of nerves in the knee. I had a lot pain for about 2 weeks and then it gradually improved. I could walk right after the surgery and now 7 months later I still have pain on occasion but nothing major.

The surgery itself is not that big of a deal. You'll have two tiny incisions. I was in and out of the OR in about an hour. If you need it get it done. If you don't the tear will only get worse. If I had to do it again I would.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 PM   #5
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Mom View Post
I tore mine in 1973. The treatment at the time was removal. I was told scare tissue would form, and take its place. Not true.

When I was in for my pre-surgery appointment I met a woman who was going to have a total knee replacement the same day by the same doctor. She told me that her problems also started out as a torn meniscus. Scary. I hope mine doesn't cause any more problems.

Reply Reply

Tags
meniscus tear