It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
(male)

crushing HB User
Knee trauma, looking for advice

A week ago, Saturday, I was playing ultimate Frisbee. I fell on my right knee, and felt the knee cap wiggle some. There wasnít much in the way of pain or superficial cuts or scrapes, so I kept playing with minimal discomfort until the game ended about an hour later. By the time I got home, about 20 minutes after I had stopped playing, the knee had swelled up so much that I couldnít bend it. It hurt some, but the stiffness from the swelling is what I noticed most.

The next morning, after ice and elevation, the swelling had gone down significantly. It continued to go down until maybe Tuesday. Since then I havenít noticed much improvement in the swelling, and if anything the knee hurts more.

The swelling is concentrated immediately above the kneecap, with slight swelling below the kneecap and on both sides. It hurts to apply pressure to the muscle extending up my thigh from the kneecap. I also sometimes get a shooting pain all the way down to my foot, particularly when I stand up after icing. But then I can walk with a slight limp but without pain, feeling only the discomfort of the swelling.

As for range of motion, I can straighten my leg after icing. Sitting down, I can almost bring my foot in enough so that it would create a 90 degree between my thigh and my calf, but not quite. The swelling stops me from bring my foot further in.

With injuries like this, I prefer to RICE them and avoid seeing a doctor immediately. Also, I live in Haiti, so I'm a little weary as to the quality of diagnosis and care I'd receive. Additionally, if the knee needs surgery, I'd get it done in the States. If it doesn't, I doubt there's anything a doctor can do for me than recommend that I keep on doing what I'm doing.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what might have happened to my knee?

Thank you,
Crushing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
knee, swelling, trauma