It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
(female)

Lynda b HB User
Recent knee replacement

I'm 3 1/2 weeks post op. I've stop taking narcotics, can tolerate the pain except for exercises. I feel like I'm not where I should be. I lack energy to do much around the house, can't seem to focus enough to read, find myself lying down a lot. I don't know if I'm being too impatient or maybe depressed, I just feel useless. Every night I think tomorrow I'll get up and be able to do some of my regular activity, but I seem to do every little. Any one have some knowledge or suggestions? I sure would appreciate any.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:44 AM   #2
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User
Re: Recent knee replacement

It took me about 6 weeks before I felt "human" again. Don't be afraid to take meds before PT sessions, its important that you do those exercises with 100% focus.
I am now 2 years post Op and can basically do anything so it will get better, stay patient and push yourself at PT.

Good luck,
Glenn

The Following User Says Thank You to glennxyz For This Useful Post:
Lynda b (09-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

I am just a week post op, fortunate to have no pain except when exercising but I have still been advised to take pain meds for 6 weeks. I do...but just morning and night. If you had a full anaesthetic I think that the effect of that has a large bearing on how you feel. I had a spinal anaesth and a light 'keep me under' and have found that I don't have that tired and 'can't get my head straight' aftermath. When you read the problems that others have had on this site after TKR I count blessings...we are fortunate.

The Following User Says Thank You to cejayb For This Useful Post:
Lynda b (10-01-2012)
Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 AM   #4
(male)

sebastion HB User

I think you are being too impatient in your recovery expectations .I had a total knee replacement 5 mths ago and I find. myself on many occaisons working too long at the exercises in a bid to recover quicker .More is not always better and you need to set a realistic target for the recovery period .
My surgeon raised my recovery expectations too high by saying i would be back on the golf course in 4 mths ,but every one is different some take longer to heal and the older you are and the less exercise you have done before the operation, because of the pain /discomfort etc, is a major factor in muscle recovery time .Some people take 6mths others are 1year.and some less than 4ind mths I have good daysand bad days days and the bad days usually follow using the good days to get jobs done while I feel good. So my overall advice is pace your recovery programme to something you can anage without going backwards and you can only do this by trial and error Be patient, my fellow golfers who have had FNR, tell me it will come good and i am hanging on to that .!! You will get there.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
(female)

Lynda b HB User

Thank, good advice. I all ready feel better than I did when I wrote. You are so correct tho, yesterday I did a lot of house work and I was very uncomfortable last nite/didn't sleep much.

Reply Reply