It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
(female)

Garden Queen HB User
Knee replacement with epidural or spinal what was it like?

Hello everyone,
I am due to have my right knee totally replaced in January next year after a long struggle with the surgeon due to my age (50). I would like to know if anyone has had the surgery with epidural or spinal and been awake for the procedure or had sedation along with the epidural or spinal.

I would like to know what it was like as l am thinking of having this for myself and would like to know the experience of others.

I have been on the boards before so a big Hello to everyone l have been in contact with and l hope all your new knees are doing well.

Best Wishes
Gareden Queen

Old 10-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User
Re: Knee replacement with epidural or spinal what was it like?

I had a right TKR 10 days ago with a spinal and light sedation. Did ask questions as this was new to me but the result was excellent. I found that I was awake and clear headed quickly. "Normal" on waking rather than floating in and out for hours afterwards. The spinal also gives pain relief for some time apparently. I had no pain and think that perhaps the spinal allows you to be aware and focus better on recovery. I would not want to be awake as if the bruising is anything to go by the procedure of cutting etc may be rather traumatic. Good luck. Walking without pain is pure bliss!!

Last edited by cejayb; 10-04-2012 at 01:53 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to cejayb For This Useful Post:
Garden Queen (10-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

Garden Queen HB User

Hello cejayb,
Many thanks for your reply which is most helpful. It sounds like the spinal with sedation went very well for you and helped post op. I always am very sick after operations and have been told that most knee replacements are done this way as it helps with sickness, drowsiness and can even help guard against blood clots. You are only 10 days post op how are you feeling? Is the pain really bad or is it bearable. Im so nervous of what is to come l have had lots of surgery from the age of 10yrs much of which went wrong and as both knees need re-placing its going to be hard going l think as when l get over the right one l will be having the left one done.
It really helps to get as much help and advice as possible and l have found the boards great.
Thank you once again for your reply it is greatly appreciated.
Best wishes
Garden Queen

Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

I feel 'as usual' in myself. I also was nervous...terrified would perhaps be more honest as from having nil ill health in my life this is the third major surgery in 5 years and I am over it!! I am 100% lucky though as I have had no pain other than when I exercise for the greater range of movement and that is easily bearable. I had 90 degrees immediately so it is a case of improving on that. I am walking without aid, staples came out yesterday and I am working hard on strength as not driving is hard as we live in the 'sticks' and my husband does not drive any more. I am obviously wary and mindful so will take it gently but becoming more confident every day.There were powered boots that vibrated under the soles of the feet for the first couple of days to guard against blood clots - along with the usual stockings. [light rubber gloves brilliant for getting these on and off] With your reaction to anaesthetic I think that the spinal/sedation would be ideal but when it's over you won't know yourself.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:54 AM   #5
(female)

Garden Queen HB User
Smile Re: Knee replacement with epidural or spinal what was it like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cejayb View Post
I feel 'as usual' in myself. I also was nervous...terrified would perhaps be more honest as from having nil ill health in my life this is the third major surgery in 5 years and I am over it!! I am 100% lucky though as I have had no pain other than when I exercise for the greater range of movement and that is easily bearable. I had 90 degrees immediately so it is a case of improving on that. I am walking without aid, staples came out yesterday and I am working hard on strength as not driving is hard as we live in the 'sticks' and my husband does not drive any more. I am obviously wary and mindful so will take it gently but becoming more confident every day.There were powered boots that vibrated under the soles of the feet for the first couple of days to guard against blood clots - along with the usual stockings. [light rubber gloves brilliant for getting these on and off] With your reaction to anaesthetic I think that the spinal/sedation would be ideal but when it's over you won't know yourself.
Hello cejayb,
It is so good to hear you are doing so well with your new knee. I have heard so many bad stories of knee re-placements and the out come not being very good but i think that many people are not properly prepared for all the hard work with physio after to get that knee working. Were you awake quite quickly after the surgery and do you remember anything of the procedure my surgeon has said that the sedation given can be light enough to just feel sleepy and relaxed or out of it!! Did you require alot of pain killers directly after surgery or were you quite comfortable given that you had just had major surgery? Sorry for so many questions only there is no one better to ask than someone that has just been through it.
I wish you a great continued recovery and i hope you enjoy your new knee for many years to come.
Best Wishes
Garden Queen

Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
(female)

Don't worry about asking questions but I do feel that I have been very fortunate with the TKR and apparently very unusual not to have pain. I had the usual 4 hourly panadol only as a precaution. I can remember people talking at one stage during the procedure and the sound of grinding, quite surreal! I was out of recovery early afternoon and enjoyed the evening meal.
Day 2 Physio in at 7.30 am. Out of bed on walker. Walked again pm
Day 3 Physio 7.30. Crutches walk. Catheter out. Self showered.
Day 3 Steady crutch strolling.
Day 4 Physio, stairs. 1 crutch walking
Day 5 Home.
I had 90 degree bend so physio said up to me re physio so I get on the exercycle at home and am gently working to more flexion. I figure that there is no hurry as I have full extension [first time for years] and information on this site tells me that internal healing takes time and greater movement will come with patience.
I live in NZ. This site has been of great value and there does seem to be variations in treatment.
Take care, Ce

The Following User Says Thank You to cejayb For This Useful Post:
Garden Queen (10-06-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

Hello Cejayb,

Please tell us what condition your knee was in *before* your surgery. I am so glad to have read your post because I'm on a waiting list to have my knee replaced and I'm scared. Your post is most comforting!!!

My knees are bone on bone and I can't have injections because I get muscle spasms from the medicine in the injection. I must be allergic to something in it. So it looks like the only option left to me is surgery. I can't straighten my legs out in front of me and it hurts so bad when I bend them (can't bend much).

I am thinking of having an epidural with sedation but even that is a scary thought. haha Any information you post is most welcome!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
(female)

Hallo Lorene
Knee was bone on bone. I had to stand and wait to get steady and have some pain subside before walking, could not straighten my knee, didn't even like strolling the garden on account of the pain and had been known to get upstairs on hands and knee!!! I kept putting off the inevitable as I was terrified as you read of people who have had bad experiences. I have been very fortunate with no pain and three weeks later I am walking unaided. 90 degree flexion and full extension. Don't know myself!! Wouldn't hesitate re spinal as recovery is so much faster.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #9
(female)

rosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB User

Hi Garden Queen, happy to hear that you are finally getting your knee surgery that you have been waiting for. It's been a year last June that my right knee was replaced and I love it so far. Now need my left hip replaced which is being done on Nov 2.
I was put to sleep while in surgery and woke up, it was over. Then had a IV for pain medication and was home in three days. Best of everything to you. Rosebud

The Following User Says Thank You to rosebud55 For This Useful Post:
Garden Queen (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:31 AM   #10
(female)

Garden Queen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud55 View Post
Hi Garden Queen, happy to hear that you are finally getting your knee surgery that you have been waiting for. It's been a year last June that my right knee was replaced and I love it so far. Now need my left hip replaced which is being done on Nov 2.
I was put to sleep while in surgery and woke up, it was over. Then had a IV for pain medication and was home in three days. Best of everything to you. Rosebud
Hello Rosebud,
Its great to hear from you and fantastic that you are still doing well with your new knee. I did not post anymore because my Surgeon wanted to wait as long as possible before replacing my knees due to the fact of age and previous surgery complicating the TKR's. He is going to carry out the surgery himself and the new list of dates i am told should be for January 2013. At the hospital they carry out a rapid recovery programe for TKR and spinal and sedation and other pre and post surgery requirments are part of it. They aim to be able to control your pain and affects of the surgery as well as possible to en-able you to recover better.
Wanted to have some proper news to post before posting again. Im still as nervous as ever as it has been a long time waiting and your thoughts begin to run away with you.
When do you think you will have your hip replaced and was it going to happen anyway or was it linked to your knee problem as my left hip has been painful along with my knees my surgeon feels its because i walk so badly and have put extra stress on my hip.
Take care and best wishes
Garden Queen

Old 10-31-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
(female)

rosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB Userrosebud55 HB User

Hi GardenQueen, so good to hear from you. I have my hip replaced Nov 2, in two days. I am actually looking forward to it because it hurts so bad to walk, even with a cane.
Today I am busy working on getting some things organized in my home for when I get home. I think I will only be in the hospital a couple of days. Need to put my grabbers near by, and my knitting, reading materials, etc.
I know that you have been waiting a long time, it seems, to get your surgery. Sounds like the doctor has it planned well, pain control is very important.
I am still in therapy for my back and I have met two new people there who just had their hip done and they are doing very well, so I hope I can do the same. I just want to walk again without so much pain.
I do think my hip wore out due to my knee. I had my right knee replaced and it's my left hip that is now being replaced. I also met a man in the doctor's waiting room who said he has the same problem. They did an xray of my left hip and it does not have arthritis, so therefore I think it's related to the knee and waiting so long to have it replaced. I have to say, I love my knee, no pain at all and at this time, I am relying on it to get myself around.
Please keep in touch. I know it becomes depressing when your knee hurts and you cannot do the things you want to do because of the pain. It will get better and Jan is just around the corner. I will be thinking of you. Rosebud

Old 10-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
(female)

Garden Queen HB User

Hello Rosebud,
Lovely to hear from you. Its a shame you now have to have your hip done as you were doing so well with your new knee but im sure i am going to be in the same boat as i have walked so badly for so long due to the knees. I just carried on working for 12 hrs a day in a nursing home and just ignored the pain in my knees until it became so bad i just could not work anymore and then i visited my doctor and that lead me to where i am today. Where i have been using crutches for a long time to mobilize all the pressing down on my hands has lead to severe carpal tunnel in both my hands so surgery may be needed there as well. It all seems to be a knock on affect and one problem leads to another.
I hope your hip surgery goes really well for you and the outcome will be as good as your knee. Please post when you feel you can and let me know how it went. Are you having a spinal for the surgery or are you going to be right out of it!!
I will be thinking of you on the 2nd of November and send very best wishes to you for a speedy recovery.
Take care,
Garden queen

Reply Reply