It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
(female)

doodef HB User
To replace polio affected hip or not

I've been told by a local orthopedic surgeon (in Knysna, South Africa) that a hip replacement will remove the pain I'm experiencing BUT because I have many symptoms of PPS and I've heard about the difficulties of recovery for a polio-affected person, I am firstly, very hesitant about the benefits of this to me. And secondly, I believe if it were to be done, it needs to be done by a surgeon who has experience and knowledge of doing surgery on polio-affected patients.
Can anyone give me their experience and or knowledge in this dilemma? I have access to surgery in South Africa or in England and hope that I can be guided towards the right surgeon through this forum.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
(female)

skwirrel08 HB User
Re: To replace polio affected hip or not

wow,i am in the same situation as you are,i had a hip replacement done on my good leg a year ago (aug.2011),and i ended up with nerve damage from that,and its been a struggle for me ever since. I also need a hip replacement in the other hip,which is my polio leg,and i have been hesitant also to do this. Yes,it would take the pain away in that hip,and i know the pain will only get worse,and i will just get older(i am 55 now),and recovery might be harder then.
I even took a bad fall just in October,and i broke the femur bone in my polio leg. The nerve damage that i had in my other leg from the hip replacement,affected my balance,and i took 3 falls before this,and i could not stop myself from falling each time. This last fall i took,i couldnt get back up this time. I also agree with you as to having a surgeon that is familiar with polio,but in this day,that is almost impossible to find,those doctors are retiring now or are retired. I have tried to even find anyone who has polio and had a hip replacement done,to find out what their recovery was like,but no luck on that neither. So i sure do wish you luck on this,and hope somebody can give you some information. Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
(female)

doodef HB User

Hi Cheryl,
It's great to hear from you - thank you for taking the time to reply. Since writing on the message board I have found a surgeon in Capetown who is used to dealing with abnormal joints and does all kinds of replacements and joint building and he knows about polio. To cut a long story short, he says I must have a 'proximal femoral' replacement because of the multiple irregularities in my femur and hip - yours being the same by the sound of it. This procedure will also enable him to extend my leg by the two centimetres that it is short - he says this should deal with my back pain because it will even up my pelvis - I have bad scoliosis. This procedure is a big deal because the prosthethis cannot be fixed with cement or rods (osteoarthritis), my own bone will grow around it and that means it needs two months of no weight bearing. It's going to be awkward for me too as my right arm is paralysed and so I can't use crutches
I'm planning on the surgery in early March and will let you know how I get on. By the way, I'm 62 and got polio when I was 7 months old - my brother got it too - he has a very weak left leg.
Do look up this doctor on the web: his name is Keith Hosking and his centre and clinic is called CORU.
All the best to you for 2013, Julie

wow,i am in the same situation as you are,i had a hip replacement done on my good leg a year ago (aug.2011),and i ended up with nerve damage from that,and its been a struggle for me ever since. I also need a hip replacement in the other hip,which is my polio leg,and i have been hesitant also to do this. Yes,it would take the pain away in that hip,and i know the pain will only get worse,and i will just get older(i am 55 now),and recovery might be harder then.
I even took a bad fall just in October,and i broke the femur bone in my polio leg. The nerve damage that i had in my other leg from the hip replacement,affected my balance,and i took 3 falls before this,and i could not stop myself from falling each time. This last fall i took,i couldnt get back up this time. I also agree with you as to having a surgeon that is familiar with polio,but in this day,that is almost impossible to find,those doctors are retiring now or are retired. I have tried to even find anyone who has polio and had a hip replacement done,to find out what their recovery was like,but no luck on that neither. So i sure do wish you luck on this,and hope somebody can give you some information. Cheryl[/QUOTE]

Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
(female)

skwirrel08 HB User

hi Julie, thanx for responding back..I will definitely look up this doctor,and i will also take this information that you gave me,to my orthopedic doctor next week to see what he thinks and if its something he could do. My doctor uses the anterior approach on hip replacement,and he already planned to use a much stronger hip,than the one he put in my good side. Its for those who are likely to dislocate.

I am 55 years old,and i got polio when i was about 10 months old,which would have been in 1958. Polio vaccines were already out and i was at the tailend of this disease. I even got two of the vaccines,and i still got this disease. I have been two months on no weight bearing because i broke the femur bone in my polio leg in Oct.,so its no fun and i am still not sure how this leg is going to affect me when i go back to work too. Well i will be excited to hear how this surgery turns out for you in March,and i hope the best for you in recovery. cheryl

Reply Reply