It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
(female)

DreadPirate HB User
TKA 9/26/2012 - At day 18, still can't lift leg

Just wanted to see how soon others were able to lift their leg without use of a sling. I feel like I should have more control but I have nothing. I can walk/put weight on it (with walker) but outside of being able to flex my ankle I can't make the leg do anything. I have also run into problems with PT largely due to insurance coverage. I've had only two PT sessions since the surgery and my daughter has been reading books and trying to do simple exercises with me each day. We are using the CPM machine but so far I can't seem to get over 60 degrees without considerable pulling/pain which I expect but seems like I should be able to move it up five degrees at a time after an hour or so.

I also don't know how the warfarin figures into the picture - is it making me weak? I did have a nurse come to the house twice the week after I came home but (also due to insurance) have not had anyone check my levels of whatever it is they check for when on warfarin. I have also had a lot of issues with constipation, I have resorted to using combination of laxatives (milk of magnesia, exlax) and enemas to be able to have somewhat of a BM every other day. Also drinking lots of water and adding fiber to my meals. Doesn't seem to help much though. Being constipated gives me awful nausea. I know it's linked to the pain meds but I don't know how I could tolerate no pain meds.

At this point I am regretting having the surgery. I know it should get better but I am just so discouraged and feel I am putting huge burdens on my family who has been very supportive and helpful to me.

I am a 54 yr old female, also have type 2 diabetes which has to be controlled with insulin so have to watch my diet as well...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #2
(female)

DreadPirate HB User
Re: TKA 9/26/2012 - At day 18, still can't lift leg

Any feedback on average time (if there is such a thing) before you could lift your leg would help me immensely. I have been pretty depressed over my lack of progress... thanks for reading!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirate View Post
Any feedback on average time (if there is such a thing) before you could lift your leg would help me immensely. I have been pretty depressed over my lack of progress... thanks for reading!
Dear DreadPirate:
I think you are expecting too much from yourself! It is only 18 days after surgery and it sounds to me like you are doing fine. I have never had knee replacement but have had 2 hip replacements. You need to be patient and I know how hard that is! We want to be back to our former selves as fast as possible.

Listen to your body and don't overdo things. It takes as long as it takes and everyone is different as to when various improvements occur. Please keep us posted on how things are doing.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

I hope you are doing better. I was a gym rat pre surgery so was able to lift my keg straight up by the end of week 2. I was told the typical person can take 6-12 months to fully recover, but generally gets back 80% of the flex you will end up with, 8 weeks post surgery. The more complex the fix issues, the less likely this will apply.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #5
(female)

survivor3x HB User

Hi Dread Pirate;

I underwent TKA in Dec 2010 at age 46. I had end stage Degenerative Joint Disease, and had absolutely no cartilage left in my knee--it was bone on bone. In my case, I was in less pain 1 day post-op than I was prior to surgery. If I remember correctly, I was able to lift my leg without assistance within 3 weeks or so.

Each person is different, obviously, but since you aren't able to lift your leg by now, I would definitely tell your doctor. Also, maybe try to do your own physical therapy at home as much as you can tolerate--along with continuing to use the CPM machine. I increased my range every 3rd day or so, and gradually was able to get up to 90 degrees. Perhaps doing both will make a positive impact on your range of motion, and recovery. Since you are able to bear weight on your knee while walking, maybe it would help to keep walking--again as much as you can tolerate without pain.

9 days ago, I had to undergo a revision of my TKA. There was some instability that developed in the joint components, and my ortho doctor had to replace them. So, I'm back in recovery too.

I am by no means a health care professional, and your doctor's advice is vital. However, I have had many surgeries in my lifetime, and I can only share my experiences.

I hope you will start to get better soon!

Take care,
survivor3x

Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #6
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

Dread, thanks for sharing your experience. I am nearly 5 weeks post TKR. I keep trying to cut back on pain meds but it makes exercising really hard. My physical therapist says exactly what you say, every surgery and patient is different. Much success with your revision recovery. As I write this I am 10 minutes post pain med and strapped in my ice machine, hoping to feel better soon.

Reply Reply