It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User
TKR - swelling issue

I am three weeks post TKR. It seems like my knee swells immediately after icing; within 20 mins., it's hard and swollen. I don't know how to get my home exercises done between OP therapy visits (3x week). My CPM goes back this Monday. My staples are out; my steri strips are still glued on. My PT says I am just under 90 degrees but that is pushed. My doctor's office says just keep icing and elevation, which I do after I do anything where I am up. I can walk with a cane - carefully. Tried to reduce pain meds but still need full doses to sleep and before therapy sessions. I think the pain and anxiety are contributing to crying jags that come up out of the blue, 2-3 times a day. Is this normal?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
(male)

RustyFLA HB User
Re: TKR - swelling issue

I am 4 weeks out of TKR.

I also thought my knee was swelling after icing, so I measured my knee before
icing, than then again after. They were the same.

I think what i was feeling, was that after icing, my knee would just stiffen up and it just felt like it was more swollen.

I have noticed that if i measure my knee in the morning, and then again and night, i get swelling, but thats normal as per my doc and PT.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks for the feedback. I will try measuring. My doc told me yesterday, he took out a lot of scar tissue from previous surgeries, which is contributing to all of the typical healing and rehab pain and problems. He does more than 300 TKRs a year and says mine is one of the most complex he has ever done.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
(male)

RustyFLA HB User

Yep same thing. Had 3 knee operations in high school due to knee dislocations playing football. Have been bone-on-bone for the past 25 years. Only had 90% flexion since high school. Lots of scar tissue

Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
(female)

When oh when will I feel better? Should I still need all my pain meds to be able to get thru therapy and exercise sessions, 4 weeks and 2 days post TKR? I can walk four blocks but no matter how careful I am,.both hips hurt for hours after. I can barely get a 90 degree bend without lifting that side's hip... So discouraging. Plus, one arm still feels numb, maybe from the iv nerve block? I see my doc 11/15. He Saud he removed lots of scar tissue, which may be complicating my recovery, and straighten my leg, which had been 'off' for 10+ year's since my tibial ostrotomy

Old 11-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
(female)

Pardon typos, tiny phone keyboard hard to use, and won't let me go back and make corrections unless I delete all text after the error. Sigh.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
(male)

RustyFLA HB User

I'm 4 weeks and 4 days out of mine. Sounds like we are doing similar. I'm at 86% bend and about 6% straightening. Not being able to straighten causes me to walk with a limp which causes me a lot of cramping and pain with my calf. I had a clot in my calf which is now gone but the doc said I could have pain from that for a long time. Finally getting rid of my cane.

I think our progress is good though I do get impatient.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
(female)

Impatient is my middle name. I am the one who walks too fast I do not make a good impaired patient I certainly hope this is not practice for my future! I am self employed, work on contract, planned to take Oct- Dec off since work EAS slow where I was working and my contract expired Oct 31. But I need to be 100% By Jan 1. I miss my 5 sessions a week at the Y, which included 50 minutes on the elliptical.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
(male)

RustyFLA HB User

I took a month off but started back last week. Luckily I work from home and sit at a computer all day. I have to get up every 20 min or so and walk a bit.

Yes I'm impatient and push hard with PT. I too take Percocet for pain. I'm able to go 6 to 8 hours between doses, but experience pain still. Still have a lot of trouble sleeping.

Currently have PT 3 times weekly but do 3 sets of exercises on my own each day. All with a lot of pain.

It is nice to find someone at the same place in tkr recovery

Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
(female)

I am medicating every 4-5 hours. Nucynta, though I am now alternating that with Tramadol. I had awful side effects from the original meds prescribed. Much success with your recovery. I really really want enough bend to be able to bike again. I haven't been able to bike in three years.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
(female)

It will be 6 weeks post for me next Wed., and I see my surgeon Friday. I am hoping to get some feedback re the swelling and sharp pain I continue to experience. My Pt tells me the swelling inhibits the bending, which is, preventing my gaining range. Sigh. I will update this post after I talk to ny doctor

Old 11-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
(female)

Update. Six weeks and three days since TKR. On Friday by surgeon said my x D rays look good f and the swelling is 'as expected' given the amount of scar tissue and the tibial plate and screws srom previous surgeries y that he concurrently removed. I was doing ok after Friday PT, but then started getting a sharp, inside knee pain when I transition from straight to a 90ish bend @ dheout halfway. It almost feels like I am tearing something in there. Friday was the first day I started massaging my scar with vitamin E, first by the therapist and then last night, on my own. Painful and discouraging.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
(female)

Kamboyo HB UserKamboyo HB User
Thumbs up Re: TKR - swelling issue

Hey Tampa

My heart goes out to you. You have had a really rough time haven't you? The added complication of scar tissue isn't helping you but please don't give up. You are still very early in your recovery although I know it seems endless. I am now 8 weeks post recovery and gradually improving. My knee still swells a lot after I have been out walking and aches a lot, although the pain is not the same as pre-op. I also experience sharp pains around my knee that I didn't have before but was told it is all part of the muscle, tissue, tendons etc healing. I still have tearful days but this is normal so I have been told. I honestly think you will make a full recovery but it sounds that it may take you a little longer than normal because of your other surgeries. Please try and stay positive (I bet you are sick and tired of being told that!) but it is so easy to fall into depression when you are in pain. I'd appreciated it if you let me know how you are getting on and if you just want to offload, please feel free to. Sometimes it just helps a bit to be able to vent your feelings. Take care and I hope things improve for you soon.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kamboyo:
Tampa Mom (11-19-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamboyo For This Useful Post:
Tampa Mom (11-19-2012)
Old 11-19-2012, 05:41 AM   #14
(female)

Thanks for the uplift! I sometimes feel I am losing touch with the positive and resilient person I have been most of my life. It really helps to know that new, sharp pains are typical, not a cause for new concern. I feel like I should be off pain med by now but there is a difference when I skip a dose.

Take care!

Reply Reply

Tags
pain, swelling, tkr