It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
(female)

silver515 HB User
Re: Second hip replacement

I also have had 2 hip replacements....the first one was almost 8 years ago and the 2nd was about 2 years ago. Stopped taking the antibiotics before dental work after 2 years and was pretty happy about that, but now it seems they have changed the rules and you must take them forever. Hopefully the rule will change back, but my dentist said he feels this is the smart thing, since you never know about infection. I basically feel pretty good....I do yoga with modifications, although my daughter the physcial therapist said at this point so long after surgery it's not necessary, but I am paranoid and would rather be safe than sorry.

This board is great. I was on here constantly before and after my first surgery and found it to be expremely helpful and everyone on here was so supportive. Definitely got me through some rough times...Haven't been here in awhile but getting back to it...love to read other people's experiences and also feel that someone might benefit from mine.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

Things are going well but I have a lot of the same questions I had four years ago with respect to when I can do certain things--I've just forgotten them. So, when I've come on board to search for these questions, I've been pulling up my questions of four years ago and the discussion threads! LOL!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
(female)

Wildwoodapp HB User
Question Re: Second hip replacement

I had my first hip replacement on August 21st, 2012. Things went great and my relief from pain was such a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, the more I walked to strengthen my new hip and leg, the more the other hip hurt, so on Nov. 27th, 2012, I had my second hip replaced. This one seems to be more painful and taking longer to get back to normal, although maybe my memory of the pain of the first replacement has faded.
My question concerns the type of pain I am having. It seems to be in the back of the joint when I sit or walk. It is getting less with time and I actually slept for 6 hours straight last night, without waking up for pain meds. Is this type of pain normal or should I be concerned and see my doctor before the 3 week followup?

Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

I think you should call his office and ask to speak to his nurse. She can tell you whether the pain warrants a visit or not. I am thinking, however, that it is probably normal since it appears to be lessening.

As for the different experiences with each hip, my surgeon told me that it is common for patients to have an easier time with one hip over another. Both limbs are different and he said he finds that his patients usually have an easier time with one hip or the other. He didn't say whether second hip replacements were easier than the first, but that would be my experience.Unlike you, I have found the second replacement to be easier and have found that i have rebounded faster. I put it down to knowing what to expect and to being less afraid to move--I am careful to observe all the precautions, but I am not afraid that all movements will lead to dislocation. I also walked more at the outset with this second hip replacement than I did with the first and I think walking is the key to a strong recovery.

Take care.

Last edited by Larimergirl; 12-09-2012 at 08:01 PM.

Reply Reply