It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Second hip replacement

I am going to have a second hip replacement done next Monday. (Had first hip done 4 years ago). I am interested in hearing from others with both hips replaced what restrictions on movement they find they have on a long term basis--Have you eventually been able to sit on floor (critical for gardening, some pilates, etc)? I know some people do horseback riding and jogging, but I prefer hiking and swimming. I know these will be fine activities. But, I'm curious to know if there are any special limitations that come from having two instead of one replacement.

Larimergirl.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Second hip replacement

Hi:
I will be thinking of you on Monday as you are in the hospital getting your other hip replaced. I assume you have voted already!

Now that you are a hip replacement veteran things should go faster than with your first hip replacement because you know all about everything you need to do.

I haven't had any problems with my two new hips and am very happy about that. I did forget to take my anti biotic before my recent dental exam and cleaning though, but lucky for me they had some amoxicillin on hand and I took that and we proceeded. Didn't have any problems with infection or anything either. The hygienist said they would remind me before the next visit to take my pills! I was supposed to take them one hour before the dental appointment. Don't know why I forgot this time.

Please let us know how things are going as soon as you feel like typing!

Last edited by Silver Swan; 11-02-2012 at 04:12 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Thanks I do feel pretty ready this time. And yes! I have voted already. Depending on the outcome I may be glad that I"m on pain killing drugs... It is really nice to already have the hip kit--reachers, elevated toilet seats, walker, cane--from the first hip operation. My doctor requires his patients to go to a hip replacement class prior to surgery and I found it a good refresher. The only thing different this time is that doctor prescribed bactroban nasal. I have to start using it tomorrow and will use it twice daily for 5 days. I believe it is to combat staph infections. So, I will keep you posted. Am interested to see how second replacement differs from first and hoping recovery will be just as smooth this time. I appreciate your encouragement!

Old 11-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
(male)

Squaretop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swan View Post
Hi:
I will be thinking of you on Monday as you are in the hospital getting your other hip replaced. I assume you have voted already!

Now that you are a hip replacement veteran things should go faster than with your first hip replacement because you know all about everything you need to do.

I haven't had any problems with my two new hips and am very happy about that. I did forget to take my anti biotic before my recent dental exam and cleaning though, but lucky for me they had some amoxicillin on hand and I took that and we proceeded. Didn't have any problems with infection or anything either. The hygienist said they would remind me before the next visit to take my pills! I was supposed to take them one hour before the dental appointment. Don't know why I forgot this time.

Please let us know how things are going as soon as you feel like typing!

Old 11-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
(male)

Squaretop HB User

Hey Silver Swan, Squaretop here. Just got back from my yearly checkup at Mayo on my hip. I came clean about all the running I do, including training for and running two marathons. It's been three years since my replacement. Things couldn't be better. Doctor said there is absolutely no evidence of any premature wear. I couldn't believe my ears, but the doctor actually said if I only run one marathon per year I should be fine. Then he said there is a doctor in France that actually recommends running for his hip patients. He mentioned the doctor by name, but I can't remember it. As for the amoxicillin I also take that prior to any dental work, but I think we are going to find that in the end they'll tell us we no longer need to take it. No doctor wants to be the first one on the hook for suggesting that. But I do not believe the evidence is there. Remember everytime we brush and floss we introduce bacteria into our blood streams and nothing ever gets infected. One final note. I think I have run my last marathon. Makes me sad, but I know even after what he said that there has to be an increased risk of early wear. Though he did say replacing the plastic liner (highly cross linked polyethylene) is a quick half hour procedure if it ever wore out. My prosthetic femoral head is made out of zirconium. And that, he said, would last a hundred years.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Hi Squaretop:
I am glad that you have on your own decided to run no more marathons. Despite what your doctor said I find it hard to believe that all that pounding is not wearing on the replacement. I just would not take the chance of having to replace the joint again. Kudos to you for your bravery and energy however.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Hi. I'm just ending my first week. I had an unexpectedly rough time with after effects of anesthesia and pain meds. Still not sure it's all out of my system. Had surgery Monday and was home by we'd afternoon. Overdid it on Thursday and then had to recoup fri and sat. Today was a good day. Walked around the block, appetite returned and generally pain was controlled by Tylenol. Wondering how long will have to take stool softeners (sorry to bring up such a yucky topic) but would appreciate hearing others post surgery experience. Didnt recall having such a big problem when had first hip done.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larimergirl View Post
Hi. I'm just ending my first week. I had an unexpectedly rough time with after effects of anesthesia and pain meds. Still not sure it's all out of my system. Had surgery Monday and was home by we'd afternoon. Overdid it on Thursday and then had to recoup fri and sat. Today was a good day. Walked around the block, appetite returned and generally pain was controlled by Tylenol. Wondering how long will have to take stool softeners (sorry to bring up such a yucky topic) but would appreciate hearing others post surgery experience. Didnt recall having such a big problem when had first hip done.
Hi Larimergirl:
So glad to hear from you so soon after your hip replacement! Congratulations on being on Tylenol already. That means you can drive unless it is your right hip and even then you could drive if it doesn't cause you pain.

As for the ever present post surgery constipation - we all have it or at least I always did. We are all different in what works but stool softeners never worked for me. They seemed to make things worse for me.
I found that getting things going with a good dose of Milk of Magnesia worked best for me. That is just for a day or so to get things working.
I have good results with dried prunes. Three or four a day help me and you can get nice moist ones in a seal again package at the grocery store. And plenty of steamed veggies such as broccoli and cauliflower were my friend. Also baked apples. All those good for us and add bulk and fiber. Try dipping your steamed veggies in something like Ranch Dressing. Worked for me!

Sounds to me like you might be overdoing things a mite. Slow down a little girl! Just a week after surgery is just a short time after such a major operation.

So glad to hear from you and I hope you will keep us posted.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Thanks. Today much better all around. Sleeping at night is going to be a bit of a struggle too. I DO remember that from last time! Hate sleeping on my back.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Larimergirl;5087811]Thanks. Today much better all around. Sleeping at night is going to be a bit of a struggle too. I DO remember that from last time! Hate sleeping on my back.

Hi Larimergirl:
I hated sleeping on my back too.

Turner Classic Movies got me through that phase. Luckily there was no one else living with me so I could watch to my heart's content. Now I live with my daughter and her husband so have to watch TCM without the sound but the frequent Closed Captioning helps a lot. Without it though I find I construct my own plots and it is still interesting.

Please keep us posted and it sure is good hearing from you again.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Spent my first night alone since surgery. Family has gone home. And, using tips I received from this board four years ago was able to don my TED hose (hip length) in 15-20 minutes today. Used sock donner and wore those thin latex gloves while on top of bed, leaning against a wedge pillow--was able to pull stockings on and not violate bending restrictions Whoo Hoo. I'm seeing the surgeon on Wednesday and will get staples removed. Hoping to coax him into letting me switch to knee highs for two weeks. He will not budge on TED stocking issue generally although I understand my best friend's surgeon did not require her or her mother to wear TED hose when they got their hips done last year.

Happy thanksgiving.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larimergirl View Post
Spent my first night alone since surgery. Family has gone home. And, using tips I received from this board four years ago was able to don my TED hose (hip length) in 15-20 minutes today. Used sock donner and wore those thin latex gloves while on top of bed, leaning against a wedge pillow--was able to pull stockings on and not violate bending restrictions Whoo Hoo. I'm seeing the surgeon on Wednesday and will get staples removed. Hoping to coax him into letting me switch to knee highs for two weeks. He will not budge on TED stocking issue generally although I understand my best friend's surgeon did not require her or her mother to wear TED hose when they got their hips done last year.

Happy thanksgiving.
Hi Larimergirl:
And Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Maybe you can eat your solitary meal in front of some nice TV program where people are gathered with family to celebrate. I have done that a time or two. I will be thinking of you as my daughter and her husband and I have our modest meal here in the house. We may have a friend over if he doesn't have plans because he has no family nearby and he was here last year.

I am amazed that you could get those thigh high TEDs on all by yourself! Good for you! Glad that the sock donner was helpful and the thin plastic gloves sound marvelous. I will keep that in mind if I ever have to put on TEDs again. Did you purchase a hard plastic sock donner or use your former cloth one?

Please keep us further posted on how things are going. Your experiences will be so helpful to others and we hip veterans love hearing how things are working for you this time around.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I have both types of sock donners but used the soft one today. My best friend and her husband are bringing dinner to me so I won't be alonevforvthe holiday. I am fortunate!

Old 11-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Went for first checkup--got stitches out and surgeon said didn't have to wear TED's anymore as swelling has gone down a lot. Hooray! I have been doing some physical therapy in addition to my walking. Today physical therapist put a five pound ankle weight on my left leg and I was able to do all the exercises with no problem. So making good progress! The surgeon's assistant asked me if I thought this left hip was an easier recovery than right hip and I said that I think so. I"m doing lots more in the second and third week than I did last time. I think it's because I know what to expect and am less afraid of dislocation. Still, I am being careful! I was released to drive and took a quick spin around the neighborhood on Thanksgiving while football game was on (no traffic!). Short trips are ok. NOt yet ready for long drives. Still progress! Next checkup is at 6 weeks post surgery, right before Christmas.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Larimergirl:
So glad you don't have to wear those PEDs anymore! That should really give you a sense of more freedom. Sounds like you are making such good progress. Being able to drive again sure makes one happy.

I am glad that you feel things are going easier and faster this time. Yes, knowing what to expect from having had one hip replacement already sure makes a difference.

Take good care of yourself now and keep us posted.

Reply Reply