It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
(female)

suecoffee HB User
Recommendations for TKR hardware

I was hoping that I can get some current recommendations for TKR hardware. I noticed these posts were from 2011. Can anyone recommend the best knee's out from their experience. I am looking for current surgeries.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User
Re: Knee replacement hardware recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoenisch5 View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where to find a site that may compare knee replacement
hardware options? I have searched the web with little or no luck. I am a 51 yo
Fire Captain, very active and I want to stay that way. I am getting a TKR in late January, this after a THR in 2007 as a result of a building collapse. I am going to have to retire as a result of my injuries, but I'm thankful modern surgery gave me 10 extra years since the 1999 accident.
Thanks in advance for any help...this is a great site!

Marty
I did a lot of research and concluded it is smarter to pick the best surgeon, and let him or her choose the hardware that best suits you. My surgeon does over 300 TKRs a year and uses Stryker knees. He gave my the Triathlon, also called the Hey Around knee. I am small. Very active. Needed a knee that will take it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #3
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoenisch5 View Post
Hi,

Can anyone tell me where to find a site that may compare knee replacement
hardware options? I have searched the web with little or no luck. I am a 51 yo
Fire Captain, very active and I want to stay that way. I am getting a TKR in late January, this after a THR in 2007 as a result of a building collapse. I am going to have to retire as a result of my injuries, but I'm thankful modern surgery gave me 10 extra years since the 1999 accident.
Thanks in advance for any help...this is a great site!

Marty
I did a lot of research and concluded it is smarter to pick the best surgeon, and let him or her choose the hardware that best suits you. My surgeon does over 300 TKRs a year and uses Stryker knees. He gave my the Triathlon, also called the GeHey Ard knee. I am small. Very active. Needed a knee that will take it!

Oops that should be, Get Around knee.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tampa Mom For This Useful Post:
suecoffee (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 AM   #4
(female)

suecoffee HB User

Thanks for the advice! It does make sense to pick te best doctor. I am curious to know at what age you were when you did your knee and how normal does it feel and how normal of a life do you live with it.

I am 47 yr old women. I am not extremely active but would like to walk 2 miles a day and go to the gym a few times a week. My doctor says that my knee wont feel normal and that I wont be able to do alot of exercise. Doesn't sound right to me that's why I am going to a top guy in NYC for Special Surgery for second opinion.

Any information and advice would be so greatly appreciated.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
(male)

evj HB User

my de puy rotating platform sigma knee feels very normal and I can walk4 miles at a fast pace. i play golf, tennis, pickleball and snow ski black runs(mainly powder because it is soft)

sugeon is important, as is a PT that rehabs a lot of knee replacements. be sure to tell him what you want to do so he knows how aggressive to be. devote yourself to lots of rehab and excercises and icing for 2 months.

powding such as basketball, jogging causes wear and premature wear-out.

walking, biking, and swimming are excellent and result in little wear.

Reply Reply