It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 02:36 AM   #1
(female)

suecoffee HB User
TKR in younger patient?

Hi All,

I am looking for some feedback from anyone who has had surgery at around same age as me. I am 46 yrs old and being discouraged by my doctor to have a TKR. He wants me to wait as long as I can. He used to say 50 but now even longer. I am lucky if I can squeeze even one more year out. I am also worried about the damage I will cause to my MCL if I wait. I am bone on bone end stage osteoarthritis and my top bone of knee is shifting toward my MCL.

Please, any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
(female)

Kamboyo HB UserKamboyo HB User
Thumbs up Re: TKR in younger patient?

Hi Sue

Sorry to hear of your problems and I understand what you are going through. I was told I would need TKR in both knees 11 years ago when I was 44. At that time both knees were bone on bone and very, very painful. The consultant actually told me I had the knees of a "woman in her 80's" which didn't exactly make me feel any better! Because of my age at the time, I was told I would have to wait at least 10 years before the surgery could go ahead. Two months ago, I had a TKR in my left knee and my recovery is going pretty well. I believe that next year I will be able to have the same surgery on my right knee. What I really wanted to say to you was that in the 11 intervening years, I continued to have increasing pain but there was no apparent damage to my MCL which amazed me. You are very young to have a TKR but my cousin was just 40 when he had this operation. Even prior to my surgery, the consultant tried to put me off but he did say that if I could not cope with the pain any longer, then he would go ahead. I told him that I had put up with increasing pain for 11 years and that I really could not stand to wait any longer. If you are in such pain, then I feel you must press for the surgery. Nobody wants to undergo an operation but it seems it may be your only option. Don't be bullied into continually waiting; the simple fact is some folk need the surgery at a far younger age than the medical profession would like. I wish you all the very best of luck and would really appreciate you letting me know how you get on.
Take care and Best Wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
(male)

RustyFLA HB User
Re: TKR in younger patient?

I'm 44 yrs old and I'm almost 7 weeks post-op from TKR.

I had extensive damage and several prior knee surgeries 20 years ago and have been bone on bone for all those years. Also I was on crutches for two months prior to my surgery. (Dislocated my knee twice playing football)

I definitely would think long and hard before having TKR and exhaust all other options.

I damaged my MCL twice along with other ligaments back then and it did not affect my TKR.

I would also suggest getting a second opinion since its major surgery.

Last edited by RustyFLA; 11-19-2012 at 05:00 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
(female)

suecoffee HB User
Smile Re: TKR in younger patient?

Thank you so much for the information. I actually have a second opinion lined up with a top doctor in NYC at Hospital for Special Surgeries. He is actually the NY Giants doctor.

I have been struggling with this for the past 3 years badly and on and off for the past 20 years. I feel like I just can't take it anymore. It interferes with everything in my life.

I fell like I need the better quality of life now not when I am in my 60's. Not that I can even hold off that long. I am starting my second go around with Orthovisc a 4 part gel injection. It worked last time . Hoping for same result.

Any info you can give me regarding your surgery and recovery would be great. Also what knee did you get and why. Sorry for all of the questions but I just want to do as much research as I can before I do commit to this surgery.

I am assuming you did this surgery because you could not walk on your knee anymore. Is that right?

Thanks again for responding to my post!

Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User

You are going to the right place for that second opinion, I had my TKR done there 2 years ago (55 years old) by dr steven haas. I have recovered fine, was back bowling in 6 weeks and played more golf this year than the last 20 years, walking most of the time.

best of luck,
glenn

Old 11-20-2012, 04:19 AM   #6
(female)

suecoffee HB User

Thank you for that information. It helps to hear any and all information. The doctor I will be seeing is Dr. Russell Warren. He just did the repair for Derrell Revis of the NY Jets. Sounds silly but it make's me feel good to know this doctor is working on major athletes. He also comes reccommended by a friend which had two knee replacements with him. I heard great things about Dr. Haas too.

Glad to hear you are doing great.

Sue

Old 11-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
(male)

RustyFLA HB User

Dont mind the questions at all.

Which knee and why?
--Had surgery on my right knee.
--Reason: 3 prior operations all before I was 20 years old. Years of having bone on bone,
damaged the bones. I had 0% menisci all those years. My knee would feel like it was going off track and finally got to the point where I could no longer walk without crutches. If I did, my knee would slide off track and I would fall down.

I was in the hospital for 10 days, due to complications.
After the surgery when they sat me up, I started to bleed out, so I was given a blood transfusion and taken off blood thinners.

Since I was off blood thinner, I developed a clot in my calf. Since I couldnt be on blood thinner, they did surgery and gave me a filter in my chest to catch the clot. Two weeks after release from the hospital they checked and i no longer had any clots, so they did another surgery and removed the temporary filter. (they dont usually put permanent filters in younger patients)

Anyway, as they say, sh*t happens, so ya deal with it and move on.

As far as surgery, I was in more pain for the first month, 24x7, than I have ever had in my life. Thats the down side.

On the up side. I now still have pain, but not all the time. And I can tell my knee is stronger than its been in 20 years. I still can not straighten my knee all the way and only have 90 degree bend, but still working hard in Physical Therapy.

(Before the surgery, I only had a 90 degree bend and would not straighten all the way)

Basically, for me, I'm at the point where im glad I had the surgery, even though I have a long way to go. Do I expect to be painfree from now on......definately not.

I read ever post in the section on this HealthBoard...
Total Knee Replacement: Recovery - Things I wish I knew!

Read those, its the best information I found.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #8
(female)

suecoffee HB User
Smile Re: TKR in younger patient?

Wow, thanks for alllll of this information. I too am bone on bone and in end stage osteoarthritis and my doctor says I can't do anymore damage if I stay this way for another 1-2 years. I am assuming that's not true after hearing what you said about damaging your bones. My top bone is shifting toward MCL ligament which was reconstructed 22 years ago and worries me that I may damage it or stretch it.!? I read somewhere that this ligament is very important for the TKR. Other ligaments are removed. What are your thoughts on this info I just gave you? This is the reason why I am going to get a 2nd and possibly 3rd opinion. I feel if we keep waiting I may damage something really bad and it may end up hurting me in the end. I appreciate you taking the time to answer and furnish me with all of this information.

OH.......When I am on meds (cortisone shots & Orthovisc) I fell pretty good. But when I am off and in need of more shots the pain is bad. Because of that I tend to not think about surgery when I feel good, But when I am in bad shape then I think surgery Crazy huh? I am all over the place, its scary.

I am sorry that you had such difficulties during your recovery. I hope things are looking much better real soon. Most people I talk to says figure a complete year in recouping.

Sue

Reply Reply