It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
aching knees---help

I have long standing arthritic changes in both knees. I have moderate to severe arthritis. Lately, the pain has gotten worse. Going up and down steps is becomming more problematic. I often have to go sideways when I go down the steps. Getting up from a chair is often painful. If I get up after sitting awhile, my knees often lock for about 10 seconds. Lately, when I am sitting, I get painful stabbing pains around the knees? I went to the ortho recently. He reccomended synvisc. If that doesn't work he would try cortisone shots. I have tried pt several times. If the relatively non invasive proceedures don't work, then I woulld be potentially facing double knee replacement. Does anyone have any feedback or insights for me?

Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
(male)

jonvtec HB User
Re: aching knees---help

You can start to take this TNR serious.
MRI's are a useful tool for the Doctors.
MRI will help the surgeon locate problem areas.
Even a upto date X-ray and if you had one before
The Doctor can see the changes. I did try injections
but after a while they stopped working and the pain
returned evere more painful.
I knew I needed 2 TNR and they do one at a time
Then do Rehab do everything they say and ask of
you to do.
My recovery was so smooth and no problems.
I want my other knee done after the hoildays
Are you goin to get a TKR?
If your doctor thinks you need one Take it.
I hope this helps
Good luck

Last edited by jonvtec; 11-19-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

roxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB Userroxygirl1 HB User
Re: aching knees---help

I had mri's for both knees about 10 months ago prescribed by the knee surgeon who did my proximal realignment 5 years ago. I had seen three different knee surgeons for a second and third opinion back then. All of the doctors said that knee replacements are in my future and I will know when I can't take the discomfort, pain anymore. I am not crazy about having the surgery and want to try everything to postpone it as long as possible. The surgeon who has been following me for the past several years said that my knees are most likely too far gone to respond to synvisc or cortisone but you never know. It would not hurt to give the injections a try. The knee surgeon is about 3 hours round trip from my home so I will use a local ortho to do the injections. I still am not sure about the knee replacements. I work in a school so if I do go ahead with the tkr, I would wait until the summer. I just started swimming again. I want to see how I respond to the injections and swimming before making any decisions.

Reply Reply