It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
(female)

RiderJen HB User
Hip labral tear ??

I have had pain in the groin area of my hips off and on for several years but it has recently worsened and I will see a doctor next week. I am a 56 yo woman, an avid cyclist, and I also enjoy walking and gardening. I am not overweight (i.e. weight is not an issue). I researched my symptoms and they come closest to the description of a hip labral tear:
  • "Catching" in the medial or groin area
  • Popping/grinding sound when I lift my knee (hip flexion)
  • Poor range of motion
  • Groin pain during/after activity or rest
  • Loss of overall strength in hip area (in spite of being active)
  • New: pain in lower glutes (as if I did way too many reverse hamstring curls, except I haven't done any at all)
  • A slight limp due to pain
  • Groin pain during the night, forcing me to change position frequently (this is NOT related to our mattress]

Possibly related: I have a small, almond-size lump (cyst?) in the inguinal crease of my left groin. It's been there about a year and has not grown.

Starting 2 weeks ago, my left hip sometimes "catches" (in the medial or groin area) early in a bike ride. I considered ending the ride early when it spontaneously "releases" on its own, bringing immediate relief. Then, as the ride progresses, groin pain gradually worsens and I have difficulty unclipping from the pedals (this motion requires slightly raising the knee off the pedal). After a brisk walk (including hills), my hips feel like I've been sitting on the couch for year!

This has been going on for a while and has progressively worsened. I have a high pain tolerance and will live with pain (without pain meds) for a long time until it starts interfering with my regular activities -- and it has. Cycling, walking, and gardening are activities I enjoy doing with my husband and with others.

I will start doing stretches and strengthening exercises for this soon and will get a referral to an orthopedic doctor next week.

QUESTION: Does this sound like a typical labral tear? Do these symptoms add up to any other diagnosis I should explore?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User
Re: Hip labral tear ??

Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. As it turns out, I tore the labrum in my right hip at 14, but wasn't diagnosed until age 29. Being diagnosed and treated correctly can help decrease the risk of further progression; I suffered delamination of the cartilage which I attribute to the delay.

I had many of the same symptoms you had, but no loss of range of motion, no loss of strength, and no pain in the buttocks. My primary symptom was catching and PAINFUL locking. (I self-diagnosed using the internet and did not want to have a labral tear, so I figured I must have a gunshot wound.)

Your doctor should look at your cyst and will probably examine your back, as your symptoms may be due to a nerve impingement, like sciatica.

It sounds like cycling is a passion, and you may want to try cycling with your seat elevated for a week or two. I have a stationary bike, which I used for surgery recovery. The seat is adjusted so that my foot just touches at its lowest point. If you try cycling with the adjusted seat and the symptoms lessen, then you can have your doctor focus on examining and treating your hips.

I hope your doctor's visit goes well.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
(female)

fussytail HB User
Re: Hip labral tear ??

Any news on the out come?

Reply Reply