It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
(male)

hoosier436 HB User
Question Time line for knee replacement

Earlier in the year, I had surgery for two meniscus tears in my left knee. The Surgeon also stated in his official report that a knee replacement will be sooner than later.. (Had acl damage, along with some other stuff)..

Well, I think it is about time for me to get it done--- my left knee never recovered, and not my right knee is beginning to hurt (several years earlier, I had an acl replacement surgery on that knee)...

I have been trying to find an generalized answer to my question...

After I talk to the surgeon concering my knees, and if he aggree with my feeling it is time for knee replacement(s)... how long would it take from that point to getting it done? Aprox that is..

Do I have to wait for months, or am I looking at weeks (not talking bout the surgeon's scheadule but actually how long will it take to get the knee replacement into his office, or whatever.)?

Yes, I am nervous about this, nervous that I would be disappointed once again, that I will remain under pain = it will never go away--- it has been years since I had a day without pain... Last time, I thought I would be out of the woods from the pain, but I was dillusional...

Will there be a time without pain?...

Thanks for the ear..and any answers...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User
Re: Time line for knee replacement

Yes, I am nine weeks post TKR, and I am assured there is light at the end of the tunnel. I too had a tear in the early 70s, meniscus was removed, and after @ 15 years I had a tibial osteotomy *was told it was a short term fix and I would eventually need a TKR) and cartilage transplant, and now 15 years after that, I am 9 weeks post TKR. My surgeon does 300+ TKRs a year so it took about 2 months to get on his schedule. I used the time to step up my already solid gym work so I went into surgery with maximum strength.

I won't lie, recovery has been very painful, e had, more painful than all the other surgeries I've had, but it will be worth it I'm told, down the road. Like I told another poster, take the pain pills, they don't eliminate pain but they take the edge off and help you sleep. Do every your PT tells you. Get one of those ice machines recommended on the "wish I'd known" page. And good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Tampa Mom For This Useful Post:
hoosier436 (11-30-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
(male)

DaveO48 HB UserDaveO48 HB User
Re: Time line for knee replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier436 View Post
Earlier in the year, I had surgery for two meniscus tears in my left knee. The Surgeon also stated in his official report that a knee replacement will be sooner than later.. (Had acl damage, along with some other stuff)..

Well, I think it is about time for me to get it done--- my left knee never recovered, and not my right knee is beginning to hurt (several years earlier, I had an acl replacement surgery on that knee)...

I have been trying to find an generalized answer to my question...

After I talk to the surgeon concering my knees, and if he aggree with my feeling it is time for knee replacement(s)... how long would it take from that point to getting it done? Aprox that is..

Do I have to wait for months, or am I looking at weeks (not talking bout the surgeon's scheadule but actually how long will it take to get the knee replacement into his office, or whatever.)?

Yes, I am nervous about this, nervous that I would be disappointed once again, that I will remain under pain = it will never go away--- it has been years since I had a day without pain... Last time, I thought I would be out of the woods from the pain, but I was dillusional...

Will there be a time without pain?...

Thanks for the ear..and any answers...
Hi,
I had a TKR also. I had osteoarthritic complications that damaged the patella and destroyed the meniscus. I had a bone on bone condition that nearly stopped me from walking.
One of the factors in getting the surgery is first getting a medical clearance from the doctors that have cared for you in the past. Usually a cardiologist is on the list too. In my case the clearance required two weeks of changed medications before surgery.
Once you have the "green light" for surgery, your insurance carrier, who has probably been involved previously in your treatment will have to sign on for the costs. The hospital and doctors' scheduling will provide you with a window to get the surgery.
My orthopedic surgeon does this surgery frequently and has blocks of surgical suite time allocated at the hospital he is affiliated with.
My recovery was not easy but I have seen others have much more trouble than I had. Your physical therapist will be a key part in your progress. If you follow the instructions and do your "homework", results should be gratifying.
A huge concern is infection. Any problems in this area and positive results can not be expected. Any instructions regarding bathing or incision care had better be followed to the letter. Uncertain? Ask first. Repairing an infected TKR is a nightmare you do not want.
It is hard work recovering ones mobility after years of pain and hobbling around as I did. It is gratifying every day when I can get out of bed and walk downstairs to breakfast.
It is worth the trip.

Last edited by DaveO48; 12-13-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Reply Reply