It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
(male)

TinkerJohn HB User
Stryker Triathlon Knee Replacement

It's been 4 1/2 months since surgery;the pain is unbearable; and getting worse. There is a grinding popping noise & pain with every step. When I'm sitting, I can sway my knee side to side with a loose popping sound. When I stand on my good knee, I can flex my new knee with all sorts of grinding & popping noises.

My surgeon says it may take six months for it to calm down. I can't wait another 6 weeks with this. I'm maxxed out on pain killers and sleep aids. I've had two second opinions and no one will open it up.

I'm praying it will self destruct so I can get some relief.

Anyone have answers or some way to get help?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User
Re: Stryker Triathlon Knee Replacement

Ugh! I also have the Tri knee, which my surgeon said best suited for me, and even though it really hurts and swells, I do not have any of the problems you describe.

Nine weeks post surgery my flexation keeps improving incrementally. My knee also moves sideways, doc says that's normal, your good knee also does that. I have a lot of swelling and therapy 3x weeks is very painful, but I don't hear any noises such as the ones you describe, and I am sure that's scary. Ask your physical therapist what he/she thinks per past experience with TKR patients, and keep going back and express your concerns to your surgeon.

Good luck! I also was told in 6 months, I may not even think about my new knee. Here is hoping that's right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
(male)

TinkerJohn HB User

The femur is cut in a octagonal fashion and drilled longitudinally. A curved component is attached. The tibia is cut off at 90 degrees and drilled longitudinally. A flat plate is attached. A plastic plate is positioned in between. If the plastic plate is not thick enough their will be play in the lateral tendons allowing end and side play. "Too thin of a plate" may also make your leg shorter.

My chronic pain seems to be the tibia trying to heal. The snapping on each side seems to be the lateral tendons hanging up on the sides of the offset femur . . . then suddenly slipping loose like a bowstring. The grinding is probably due to the pin being twisted and angled in the slot.

Compared to my other TKR friends, at 9 weeks you should be getting past the worst of it. A recumbent bike is the fastest way to recovery. You can buy one for $150 at Walmart or rent one.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

tinaandsher HB User

Dear Tinker, you are not alone. It's been 1yr. since my surgery and have had 2 opinions from other docs who say "nothing is wrong" yet I still have grinding, popping, swelling, heat at the sight and pain 24/7. My surgeon also went back in after 5 months of surgery and tried to clean-up loose material and said he found very little. One day later knee was back to same ole feeling of all described above. I've been on this puter looking for others and glad I found someone with same problem! Also, doc says he will replace it again, but, if he screwed up in the first place, why would I have same doc do it again? If it's the knee prosthetic, doctors aren't saying anything against it! Is there a recall?

Old 01-19-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
(male)

TinkerJohn HB User

Tina and Sher:

I'm passed the 6 month mark with no improvement. In fact, the grinding is getting worse and the pain is increasing. Funny how a auto mechanic can listen to your car and instantly diagnose the problem, but a surgeon who installs just three simple parts has no clue.

My surgeon has referred me to another doctor. That seems stupid to me. If my new doctor finds a problem, the original surgeon is inviting a lawsuit.

after crying and begging, the new surgeon has agreed to arthroscopy next month. I'm afraid that they all might belong to an official fraternity . . . sworn to protect each other.

Meanwhile, I have become addicted to zolpidem and tramadol. Slowly coming off of them made me panic and anxious, so I'm back on them and will have to deal with withdrawal after surgery.

In your case, I would visit another doctor in another practice and in another city if possible . . . and get a new opinion.

In my readings online, misalignment is common during surgery and causes
most of the problems. Tie a 4 foot long string to your ankle with the knot in the front. Pull the string up to where your hip socket should be. The string should align over the center of your knee cap. If it doesn't, take a photo and bring it to your doctor.

If enough of us lean out the window and yell "I'm mad and I can't take it any more!" . . . maybe the surgeons will begin to listen.

Tinker John

Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
(female)

My brother just visited. He's had a lot of iknee problems but no TKR. He thinks the noise 'in" my knee are the tendons, which are moved out of place to enable the TKR. 3.5 months post surgery I am still swelling, the.knee cap is undefined, but I have with effort nearly 110 degrees, and my pt can move it further (with lots more pain). I didn't expect a perfect.knee but would like enough flex to bike; not there yet.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
(male)

TinkerJohn HB User

I'm not a doctor, but I can tell you that my surgeon offset the alignment of my tibia and femur by 3/8"and the lateral tendons snap like a bowstring which hurts like hell.
If that's your problem, grinding down the side of the femur is the only thing that will help . . . and, unfortunately, my doctor refuses to recognize that.

Misalignment of the patella is the cause of most noise. Second is the misalignment of the joint. It's supposed to be inline with the ankle and hip socket. About 35% of us are not in alignment according to worldwide studies.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
(female)

I will ask my doc about this info when I see him on Fri., and thanks. I had a tibial osteotomy in 1994 to postpone a TKR, so my leg wasn't properly aligned pre TKR in Oct. 2012. I know he said he did his best to straighten my leg by adjusting the cuts when he did my Oct. Surgery, but if my leg is off alignment, it could be the earlier surgery contributed to that.

Reply Reply