It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
(male)

JCS33 HB User
Sleeping - 6 months post bi-lateral TKR

Hello All
I am 6 months post bi-lateral TKR. In general I am doing well with a few lingering issues. Worst is sleep. I awake every night with an aching that completely disrupts my sleep. I finally resorted to Ambien but it is no longer getting me through the night. I can't sleep on my side because the weight of my legs caused a throbbing ache after about 5-10 minutes, even with a pillow in between them.

Also concerning is that I was exercising every day and just excepting the night time soreness and lack of sleep. At 4 months my Dr. told me to back off the exercise, every other day, well, I can bike, row, use the machines, swim for 45 minutes and feel fine throughout but still pay for it at night. I know everyone is different and I have friends who have not had this difficulty.

Any suggestions / thoughts / comments ??
Thanks, Joe

Old 11-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
(male)

Chicago21 HB User
Re: Sleeping - 6 months post bi-lateral TKR

I am almost 2 years post op on my tkr and still have pain during the night. Propping my leg up in every conceiveable position to get comfortable, only to wake up in a horribly painful different position is a nightly occurance for me as well. I feel your pain. I always take my various NSAIDS in the morning and right to the pool/hot tub for my therapy. Im like Fred Astaire for the rest of the day until I stop moving at the end of the night. I refrain from taking a second dose of NSAIDS and just deal with the pain. I have used ambien in the past for a few days after each of my previous knee surgeries, but never long term. As far as OTC sleep aids, ive taken them all, and even all together at the same time. I finally saw my doc and started taking Trazodone for sleep. It worked wonders once I got to my right dosage(300mg). Going from no sleep at all, to having solid REM sleep every night was incredible. I still wake up a few times during the night, but Ill just readjust myself and fall right back to sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
(male)

JCS33 HB User

2 Years - Yikes!
Thanks for the insight. Did you used to exercise / swim daily at the 6 month point? How about now, do you feel you need to rest a day in between? I sued to go every day starting around the 2.5 month time-frame, of course I was still taking some pain med and now realized that played a role. I also notice the weather plays a role in how sore I wake up.

Any addition insight into exercise routines, or other observations are again, really appreciated.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
(female)

nana b HB Usernana b HB Usernana b HB User

I had tkr in May 2012, and I have the same issues. I am side sleeper too, and even with pillow between my legs, I seem to bend my knee and then it hurts or just the knees touching causes my knee to hurt. I haven't found a solution, so I would like to hear one too. I am already on Ambien CR, which helps, but I would love a solution to the nighttime knee pain. Glad to hear someone else has the same issues. I have backed off exercising and need to get back to doing that, too.

Reply Reply

Tags
exercises, sleeping problems