It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

eiggam68 HB User
sciatic pain after THR

I had my second total hip replacement in June this year and everything seems to have gone wrong since then. At 3 days post op I fell and sat down hard on the toilet in the hospital. Everyone was helpful and surgeon did say it would not have damaged the new hip. I had a follow up 5 weeks post op and surgeon says everything fine even tho' I did not have an x- ray. I complained of pain in the leg and knee but I was told that it would settle and I must have been doing too much. Since then the pain has got worse and my GP reckons it is Sciatica. I am all right if I sit with my feet up but if I sit with my feet on the floor in an upright chair the pain stars. I feel as if I am sat on a large nail and the ache goes from just above my waist to the tips of my toes and when I get up my Right leg won't take my weight! MY right hip is also now very painful presumably because I am favouring my left leg. has anyone else had this problem?-- and when did it end? Has the sciatic nerve been trapped or severed and does it eventually right itself? Has anyone any idea how to alleviate the pain please. I thought when I had this op I would have some relief from the pain but it is no better it is worse. My bottom 3 vertebrae are crumbling and I suffer greatly with spinal pain so this extra pain is getting me down
Can anyone give me some ideas?

Old 12-19-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
(male)

gluckman HB User
Re: sciatic pain after THR

Pain in the lower leg is usually a sign of something going wrong in your lower back around L4 or L5. If you have osteoarthritis in your hip(s) before they were replaced it would be in the realm of possibility that you have the same in your lower back and it finally showed up. The osteoarthritis would eventally squeeze the sciatica nerve it your lower back. It could also be possible that when you sat too hard you did something to your lower back which may be causing the pain. If you had a slight fracture in L4 or L5 your body may have never stopped producing bone matter to fix the problem from the trauma which would also eventually squeeze the sciatica nerve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
(female)

eiggam68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluckman View Post
Pain in the lower leg is usually a sign of something going wrong in your lower back around L4 or L5. If you have osteoarthritis in your hip(s) before they were replaced it would be in the realm of possibility that you have the same in your lower back and it finally showed up. The osteoarthritis would eventally squeeze the sciatica nerve it your lower back. It could also be possible that when you sat too hard you did something to your lower back which may be causing the pain. If you had a slight fracture in L4 or L5 your body may have never stopped producing bone matter to fix the problem from the trauma which would also eventually squeeze the sciatica nerve.
Thanks. I do have a few crumbling vertebrae in lower back ( I ended up with a general instead of spinal because he was frightened of severing spinal cord )so I guess you are right My only concern is will it repair itself, could physio help or have I got to live with it? I am sat in computer chair now and pain is in lower back, left buttock, left top of thigh, inner thigh (groin) knee and calf. I wake up many mornings with my left little and next to it toes burning and sore when I put foot to floor. I was hoping to have pain relief not extra pain but that's life I guess !! Thanks again and if you think I could do anything to get some help please let me know.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
(female)

Wildwoodapp HB User

I can appreciate what you are going through. I was treated for sciatica and back pain for 4 years before they realized it was mostly my hips. I had my first hip replacement in August of 2012 and the second one 3 weeks ago, November of 2012.
My recovery from the first was just short of miraculous. I was walking with a cane within 2 weeks and off it completely for about a month before the other hip started acting up and I had to use the cane because of that.
After my second hip replacement on the right hip, I had pain down my right leg, in my knee and all up and down my leg at different times. Because of it I did not do my exercises as I should and after two weeks I was still on the walker. The second to the last session with home therapy, I mentioned that I had the pain down my leg and it was so bad sometimes I just sat and gritted my teeth. The therapist had me lay down on the bed on my side and pushed his thumb about in the middle of my hip area, between the incision and the top of my hip. It hurt so bad I almost jumped off of the bed, but he told me to relax and let him know when the pain let up. After a few minutes the pain subsided and when I got up it was gone. It hasn't returned as yet, over a week now, but every morning I wake up expecting it. He also told me I could do it myself by using a tennis ball. He said lie on my back with the left knee up, find the sorest spot, put the tennis ball there and then roll towards it to put pressure on the spot. You can be sure I will be trying this if it returns. He said there are many muscles in the buttocks that criss cross and they can pinch those nerves badly. He also said I needed to remember to take the muscle relaxants the doctors had given me.
I really feel for you and hope this may help or maybe help you find what you need for pain relief. The constant pain really gnaws at your spirit after while and I, for one, tend to withdraw into my own little world.
Please post when you can tell if anything is helping you. My dr. who did the hip replacement just said that therapists do amazing things that he doesn't exactly understand himself.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
(female)

eiggam68 HB User

HI
Thanks so much for your reply. I will give the tennis ball a try I have often said to my doctor that sometimes pain relieves pain so here goes. You are so right about pain wearing you down and the constant pain killers make the world even more depressing. I will let you know if it works Have a great Christmas

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
(female)

eiggam68 HB User

HI
Thanks so much for your reply. I will give the tennis ball a try I have often said to my doctor that sometimes pain relieves pain so here goes. You are so right about pain wearing you down and the constant pain killers make the world even more depressing. I do not take muscle relaxants. I will let you know if it works Have a great Christmas.

Reply Reply