It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 04:40 AM   #1
(female)

Fallinwhisper HB User
Unhappy Medial Meniscus Tear... or NOT?

Hello all! So I need some insight and/or opinions on something. Back in April '12 I tripped and fell HARD on both my knees, (right one hitting first and probably took the brunt of the hit) on a concrete floor. I hit so hard everything went black and I saw spots. I couldn't move! It was where two floors came together so there was about an inch or so different in height, and that is where my knee hit ... right on the 1 inch high crack.

My right knee was very sore for a few weeks, finally got a bruise about 2 weeks in. It still hurt after a month so I had it x-ray'd. They said I bruised the bone. Ok, so rest, ice and ibuprofen. Good .... well .... It still bothered me for a few months but I just ignored it. About two months ago, back in October '12 I went to squat down to put something in a mini fridge and POP! My right knee hurt so bad, I saw only black for a moment and then realized I was stuck. I couldn't stand!!! Had to take a min to push myself up. It was very swollen and painful for a few days. Finally went to have it looked at, had another x-ray. Doc pushed on the inside (Medial) part of the right knee and I just about jumped off the exam table ... HURT SO BAD! Needless to say, nothing much of interest on the x-ray. A month later I had an MRI.

MRI came back "ok". There was space difference around the meniscus. The "good" side had a nice big black triangle-like space. The Medial side was much smaller. But it didn't show a right out tear. So, the ortho sent me to a physical therapy. He said my knee is SO hypersensitive that he can barely work on it. He did some friction therapy on the medial joint line area but only for a few mins because it was SO painful. Apparently I have tendonitis now too. He has also been trying electro therapy and a iontopatch a couple times a week. I have been doing very light, no resistance stationary bike exercises for about 15 mins but at about 14 mins I keep getting VERY sharp internal knee pain. PT is concerned I may be developing RSD and is leaning more towards scoping the knee to see whats going on before diving right into surgery but he said if I'm starting to get symptoms of RSD, he doesn't want anymore trauma. But hes not totally convinced its a Meniscus tear even though its acting like one only because it didn't show up clearly on the MRI as one.

So ... I know a small tear can heal, a medium one may not. Ive been in pain for months now and its really wearing on me. I eat ibuprofen like candy, ice it as much as I can. I'm just getting frustrated and tired. Should I keep doing therapy, should I let them scope it or just do the surgery? Does it really sound like the Meniscus? Everyone is just confused because nothing "major" showed up on the MRI but I'm in SO much pain. The pain ranges from throbbing and dull to SHARP.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #2
(female)

Fallinwhisper HB User
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear ... or NOT?

Also, there is still noticeable swelling of the knee and leg itself. It does get 'stuck' once in awhile and I get this horrible feeling like there is something pinching inside the knee. Its a very sickening feeling for me. Happens every day now. It does lock up and this morning its much more stiff than usual. Keeps giving out and I was getting that random SHARP pain early this morning. *sigh*

Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
(female)

Fallinwhisper HB User
Re: Medial Meniscus Tear ... or NOT?

So ... because its so close to the Holidays, I'm getting blown off by doctors more than usual. I have been in probably the most distressing pain today than I have been in weeks. My knee keeps giving out on its own at random times.

Since this whole ordeal has begun, NO ONE has helped with Pain Management. Just over the counter pain relievers and the steroid patch. Its getting completely frustrating seeing as my appointments are week to a month apart and no one seems to want to give me a straight answer. It has been almost 10 months since this first started.

I know they are taking their time partly because they want to make sure they don't have to revert to surgery when it may not be needed, but I am in a good amount of pain on a constant basis and all I want is to be comfortable. I am not big on narcotics, they make me pretty nauseous but I am desperate for the pain to go away so I'm not so stressed out. Any thoughts on home remedies? Anything!!!

Any ideas? Or opinions on what it may be ... or avenues I can try ... or if it sounds like it may indeed be an illusive meniscus tear. I read that some people didn't have much show up on the MRI but when their knee was scoped, they did find tears.

Reply Reply

Tags
knee, medial, meniscus, pain, tear