It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Second THR--six week checkup

Surgeon gave me all clear to do the following after six week checkup

1 can sleep on side or stomach If I want. ( but incision is still too tender for side sleeping is not comfortable yet). (tried stomach too and it felt good but only comfortable for a short time)

2. Can go to the gym and do upper body and lower body workout but he said to go very light on weights with lower body for at least next six weeks

3. Can bend to tie shoes so long as I reach between knees to do so and don't twist hip. Can also bend to pick things up from floor again if reach between knees and keep knees apart

4 can go swimming and also ride regular bike so long as I feel that I can balance and have enough strength.

5. Can get a massage if I want (my back needs it!)

6. He said not to try to go to floor or kneel for awhile. Maybe can try at six month mark.

7. I forgot to ask about using pillow in drivers seat in car. But I will keep on using it for awhile as I don't feel comfortable yet without it.

So progress is being made. But think it will be a while till I am at full speed. Particularly think it will be awhile before I can sleep comfortably. While the new incision is tender my other incision from my first operation is also still a bit tender even after four years. If anyone has any tips re sleeping on side after two THRs, I'd appreciate hearing about it!

Maggie

Old 12-22-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Second THR--six week checkup

Hi Larimergirl:
These are very helpful tips even for us who have hip replacements that are several years old already. I especially like the one about reaching between your legs to tie the shoes. Good point- does not turn the hip. We can learn so much from the experiences of others and from what their doctors advise. Thanks for sending these tips. I still use the pillows on my driver's seat. I like to have my knees lower than my hips.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Well, I tried going without a cushion in car seat for a day or so and decided I still need to use it. If I recall from first hip operation I used it the first 12 weeks and so will do the same now. I'm at week 7 post surgery!

It's been a relief to be able to sleep a bit on my stomach. I tried side sleeping too, but don't feel comfortable with it yet. But, getting close. Just being able to shift position a bit even if for only a few minutes is great--my lower back muscles need the break!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
(female)

rgh16 HB User

Hi, Just found your board. I had bilateral total hip replacement 5-6 years ago. I have the Depuy Pinnacle system in both hips and have metalosis. I don't have any hip pain but because of my high count of cobalt and chromium two doctors told me i should have a replacement in both hips. I am nervous about this since I don't have any pain. I am going in for a second MRI to determine if I have any tissue damage. Haven't decided about replacement yet. Probably will do it in summer. Should I do both hips at once. One doctors said do both together and then the other said one at a time. What are your suggestions on all of this. Why did you have your hips revised. Do you have a civil suit againt any of the companies?

Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

I didn't have a revision, sorry for the confusion. I had one hip done four years ago and the other done this past November. So I was referring to the November operation when I said I had my second hip surgery

As for getting them both done at once, that would have been too much for me. It would require a longer recuperation period and I live by myself. My family members couldn't have stayed longer than a week to help me out. My doctor didn't recommend a bilateral but I didn't want to do it that way anyway.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larimergirl For This Useful Post:
rgh16 (02-04-2013)
Reply Reply