It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

suecoffee HB User
Help!!! TKR why I should do it and why I should not !!

I am almost 47 years old. Someone please tell me why I should do a TKR and why I shouldn't do it . I am bone on bone. End stage osteoarthritis in pain all the time. Doctor says try to get another year to 2 years. I really don't think I can. Can someone please help me with my decision as to what to do.

THANK YOU!!

Happy Holidays to all!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
(female)

Ilovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB UserIlovedollhouses HB User
Re: Help!!! TKR why I should do it and why I should not !!

I, too, am bone on bone...Only I have to live my life like this...My problem being another problem that hamper me...But, I will give you my thoughts on this...

If I was your age and was able to have this surgery, I would have had it last week...That is how much this would mean to me...I would say go ahead and have it done as long as your health is good and no other problems could impair it...Speaking of surgeries, our son had two total hip replacements before age 50 and has no regrets...My husband is like a bionic man...Knees, hips, shoulders, plus a few other added surgeries...

If you have any other questions please ask me...I do want to add one more thing...The longer you are walking bone on bone the more you are wearing a groove into the lower leg bone...This alone will make it worse and in the long run can make your legs either turn in or out...In other words, it will not get better, it will get worse....Take care...ILD....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

I assume that the Dr is asking you to wait as I was told that the life of a TKR is 15 years on average. I had a TKR 3 months ago [much older than you] and to be without pain is bliss.
Your choice to me is the TKR time element and ramifications v pain.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

Cindy89 HB User

Ladies I feel for you all.

Last edited by Cindy89; 01-10-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #5
(female)

suecoffee HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me your advice. My heart says to do it , but we will see after my 2nd opinion doctor appointment in NYC with one of the best! This holiday break has not been easy. It seems everyday is becoming more of a struggle walking and finding it difficult to exercise too. Any other info or advice would always be appreciated.

Happy New Year

Sue

The Following User Says Thank You to suecoffee For This Useful Post:
TNHOOSIER (01-21-2013)
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 AM   #6
(female)

suecoffee HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me your advice. My heart says to do it , but we will see after my 2nd opinion doctor appointment in NYC with one of the best! This holiday break has not been easy. It seems everyday is becoming more of a struggle walking and finding it difficult to exercise too. Any other info or advice would always be appreciated.

Happy New Year

Sue

Old 12-29-2012, 04:36 AM   #7
(female)

suecoffee HB User

The longer I wait the better of course due to the life of the TKR. But when I asked how many revisions I could have, thinking I could only have one, he replied as many as you need. I questioned him on that and he said it was no longer true that you can only have one revision on your knee. I know that a revision surgery is no walk in the park and I would really only want one but if I have my first at 47 2nd at 62, I may never reach the third. I would hope in 15 years from now that the knees will last even longer! Does this make any sense or am I over thinking it and talking myself into this operation? I may have to post a question on How many revisions have TKR patients have in their lifetime thus far. Thanks for taking time to give advice! Happy & most importantly Healthy New Year!

Sue

Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
(female)

mimee HB User

I had a left tkr in August of last year at age 49. I was told for years that I was too young ... try to hold off until after age 50, etc. Finally my ortho said that I was too young to be in so much pain (said my xrays looked like that of an 80 year old). Best thing I have EVER done. I'm actually looking forward to having the right one replaced in about a year. I think being younger actually helped me ... I was constantly 2 weeks ahead of schedule as far as healing and therapy goes. Would not give a second thought about doing it again. Best of luck.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #9
(female)

suecoffee HB User

Thank you so much for your post . It really helps with my decision. I saw a Top notch doctor in NYC and he says same thing as you just said that the age is not a factor if this is affecting my every day life in such great magnitudes. I am nervous and scared to make this comittment. But hearing from other people in my same situation really does help. If I continue to feel the way I do and do not let my nerves take over, then I would like to do this surgery in June. Wish me luck and thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post. How has your recovery gone ? Any advice you could give me?

Thanks
Sue

Old 01-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #10
(female)

suecoffee HB User

Thank you so much for your post . It really helps with my decision. I saw a Top notch doctor in NYC and he says same thing as you just said that the age is not a factor if this is affecting my every day life in such great magnitudes. I am nervous and scared to make this comittment. But hearing from other people in my same situation really does help. If I continue to feel the way I do and do not let my nerves take over, then I would like to do this surgery in June. Wish me luck and thanks again for taking the time to reply to my post. How has your recovery gone ? Any advice you could give me?

Thanks
Sue

Old 01-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #11
(female)

keycolony HB User

I wished I hadn't waited so long!!! I am 67 and have suffered with knee pain for 5 or 6 years, had both knees done for meniscei tears and both cleaned up from calcification, I have done the shots, they helped for a year and a half. I had TKR 8 weeks ago, can't wait to get through thereapy and live my life again!!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User

My doc also says multiple revisions possible. I had a TKR in Oct., after a number of interim surgeries. The bottom portion was not rooted deep into my tibia but instead imbedded on a smoothed surface, like the top portion of the prosthesis is attatched. If or when I require a revision, the next prothesis will be mounted into my tibia in the more standard way.

Reply Reply