I am asking this because we live in the sticks and often I find that what doctors here prescribe isn't exactly what most others would.
On the 23rd of Dec. I was bowling, and the first time I walked to the line and released the ball, my knee popped and gave out, and I found myself sitting on my butt. Immediately I felt a flash of heat in my right knee, and I started to sweat. My husband helped me up, and after about 5 minutes, that heat and sweating passed. It hurt but not that bad, I've sprained ankles and fingers and it didn't even hurt like that, so I figured nothing too serious and we bowled 2 games. I was just slower and more cautious.
A few hours later, my knee swelled to the size of a small grapefruit and was more painful, especially with stairs and getting in/out of the car. The pain is most intense on the inside, in a crescent around the kneecap. It was uncomfortable enough that I didn't sleep that night, and the next morning it was much more painful and the swelling was more like a small cantaloupe.
I went to the clinic. The doctor didn't want to diagnose anything or even test for anything. He told me to ice and rest it, take advil, and gave me crutches. He used a syringe and withdrew 50cc of blood from my knee, which decreased the swelling maybe 20%. He said that if, after 3 weeks, my knee is still unstable or still painfully swollen, then I can request an MRI. the swelling is most intense right around the kneecap, but my leg about 3 inches below the kneecap to about 5 inches above it is swollen all around. I cannot straighten it fully (not because of pain but because it will just not straighten that far) and I cannot bend it even to 90 degrees for the same reason.
Does this sound appropriate? Or should I be looking to a bigger clinic to see a specialist? 3 weeks seems a long time, but perhaps that is just the way it is. I cannot even drive without using both feet because I can't move my leg back and forth. I have 3 kids and while I don't work I spend a lot of time driving kids to various activities. If protocol is just to wait, then I guess I have no choice. But if it's possible to have an MRI or other tests earlier to diagnose anything, then I've prefer to get things moving sooner rather than later.
Based on your symptoms, waiting 3 weeks for the mri or a diagnosis should not be part of the protocol. The fact that the dr withdrew blood from your knee should have been a sign to him that something was definitely wrong. If I were you, I would find a knee specialist.
Thank you for your comment. I went to see my family doctor yesterday to determine what the best steps were. We live about 120 miles from the nearest ortho so I wanted to see if we could at least do MRI before I go all the way there. He agreed I needed an MRI and scheduled it for next Wednesday. The swelling is better, but it still is painful and catches and I still have limited range of motion. Doctor suspects a meniscus tear. He did a few pulls and twists on my leg and said it at least doesn't look like I completely ruptured any ligaments, but even if they have minor damage, as a very active person I would probably have them repaired versus giving up all my activities. Am hoping for news of a minor injury that can be fixed and rehabbed fairly quickly. Once I have the MRI and the dr. gets the results, then he would refer me to a surgeon as needed.