It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User
Stretches after hip replacement

Does anyone have any information about how to modify lower body stretches after hip replacement surgery. I'm at 8 weeks post surgery and was told I could resume upper body workouts at gym and could also do light workouts for lower body if I felt stable enough to do so. right now I've worked up to one mile walks. But even with just walking, my legsl and back get tight. I plan on seeking the advice of a physical therapist, but would welcome any information from hip patients who have resumed exercising. How did you modify your pre and post workout stretches.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
(male)

traveler3309 HB Usertraveler3309 HB User
Re: Stretches after hip replacement

I could tell you that I just had right total hip replacement and I am only at 4 weeks post op tomorrow. I have found that using moist heat on my back and hip area before any workouts greatly reduces the tightness I experience after I am done. I take a regular kitchen towel and wet it and put it in the microwave for about 40 seconds. After any activities I ice up to reduce any inflammation. Hope this helps because it has for me so far and it was recommended by my physical therapist.

Last edited by traveler3309; 12-28-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Larimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB UserLarimergirl HB User

thanks. Does this mean you don't try to do any kind of stretches for calves or legs? Are you just doing exercises recommended by doctor for post op or are you actually back at gym? I'm thinking you aren't far enough along to do gym type exercising are you?

Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
(male)

traveler3309 HB Usertraveler3309 HB User

I am just starting to use the bike at pt but haven't been cleared yet for anything to strenuous. I do stretch before any activity but again I can't do as much as I would like right now.

Reply Reply