It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
(female)

ohmyachingknee HB User
Angry Newly Diagnosed Osteoarthritis in Knee

Two months ago I had sudden extreme pain in one knee. I made an appointment with an ortho dr. and I thought for sure he was going to tell me tendonitis. He took an X-ray and said you have osteoarthritis bone on bone. Iíll give you a shot of cortisone. I think at the time I was in so much shock that I didnít know what to ask. I felt like I had taken a number at the bakery and he was just trying to move me along. Come back in a month for another shot if you need it was his only advise.
Iíve been trying to educate myself. Iím 53 yr female, overweight (yes I know losing weight will help). I went from being pretty active to counting to 5 and holding my breath before I stand up. I know the obvious lifestyle changes will help long termÖ healthy eating etc. I know some OTC things work for some and not so well with others. My first shot of corisone lasted about 6 weeks.
Hereís my questions:
*Cortisone vs Synvisc? I always thought it wasnít good to get a lot of cortisone? Is Synvisc just as bad?
How long does it take before you know if a Synvisc shot works or not?
* I asked for an MRI and was told my insurance wouldnít pay unless I had an injury. After reading even if I did have a tear or something they probably wouldnít fix it anyway? Is it worth pushing for an MRI?
* What OTC do people take? Advil, ibuprofen I feel donít do a thing for me. Iíve been seeing Glucosamine w/chandroiten & msm a lot, fish oil? What else is good?
*Lastly back to another ortho doctor or should I see a rheumatologist? Would a rheumatologist be able to give me synvisc, request an MRI basically the same things an ortho could do? What are others feelings about which one to see and their experience with a rheumatologist? Iím just confused with so much info and so much pain that I would love to hear what others have done and their opinions on what I should do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
(male)

jets33606 HB User
Re: Newly Diagnosed Osteoarthritis in Knee

My left knee used to hurt a lot . I been taking 3000mg of omega3 everyday and accupuncture like once a month . My knee feels like 90% better . I am like 60 pounds overweight so maybe if i lose some weight can get to 100%. Hopefully it can work for you too.

Reply Reply

Tags
knee, osteoarthritis, rheumatologist