It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
(male)

renegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB Userrenegaderob18 HB User
Need Help Deciding between PKR and TKR ...Please Help

I have had pain in my right inside knee for a little over a year know...have tried the injections, rest, ice, therapy and 2 surgeries for chondromalacia, but everything makes it worse. I am to the point where my knee is ocking up on occasions, I can't drive more the 15min max, and have to use one or both cruthces at times to get around. I saw two OS docs and was told at age 35 after they saw my MRI I need replacement done. The one doc said he reccomends TKR and the other one said there is a chance PKR might work, but can't promise for how long, but to consider the TKR. I was being told by the first doc that said TKR only I should have that due to having arthritus in both shoulders as well it will most likely eat my whole knee up within a few years. The other doc did agree, but said we can't say either way if that will happen so he said PKR is a possibility. What do you all think. I am leaning toward the TKR even though I am 35, because of the arthritus in both shoulders. I also don't want to have PKR and the other side get arthritus in a year or 2 or so and then need TKR. I am tired of trying things and being in pain. I also have maltracking in the knee and we tried lateral release and all of that, but it didn't help. I also have slight swelling and water on the knee that keeps coming back as well that we can't get rid of. Would a PKR help the maltracking better or would a TKR and which would help with the swelling/water on the knee to stay gone? Please any help would be greatful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
(female)

Takethepainaway HB User
Re: Need Help Deciding between PKR and TKR ...Please Help

Just remember if you do a partial you will have to endure the pain all over again in 5 to 10 years I just had my PKR on 4/23/13 and I'm still in major pain the nights are the worse just make sure you have support at home and hopefully your much stronger then I am with controlling your pain..good luck and just think postive oh yea double up on meds when you go to PT or when they take out the staples..

Old 05-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
(male)

zimmerTKR HB UserzimmerTKR HB User

renegaderob18 - If it were me the following sentence says it all:

"The one doc said he reccomends TKR and the other one said there is a chance PKR might work, but can't promise for how long, but to consider the TKR".

This is just my opinion here, but don't gamble with this. The TKR will make everything correct in your knee. With all your past/present troubles, why leave it to a coin toss?

It's a tough decision, but one that you have to make.

Take care,
Chuck

Old 05-11-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
(female)

fleafly HB User

Renegade Rob, I am sorry you are having so many issues with your knee and shoulders. I can definitely relate, having two TKRs and rotator cuff surgery twice in the same shoulder. It's been a few months since you last posted, so I don't even know if any of our comments to you are being seen, or if they apply any more. Please let us know where you're at in the process, and how you are doing. For now, I will go on as if you are still considering your options.

I'm curious. You have not mentioned physical therapy. Did you ever try that? What about pain management? Have you seen anyone specifically for that?

I think I would agree on the TKR over the PKR, but I would not jump to anything unless you absolutely need to. The thing about orthopedic surgeons is that most think about surgeries or braces or things like that. They sometimes forget about other professionals that can also help a situation without ever cutting. They even forget about basic things like the value of using ice, and elevating the leg, not just right after surgery but well into the future. I am not suggesting that any of this applies to your doctor(s) or for you, but I am letting you know about my experiences. A good physical therapist - whether you end up having surgery or not - is a vital part of preparing you FOR surgery as well as recovery FROM surgery. When a knee is properly conditioned, the muscles are strengthened to keep everything sort of "snug as a bug in a rug," and things like misaligned or poorly tracking patellas are virtually non-existent.

Although knee replacements last so, so much longer than they did before, there is no guarantee that one person's will last as long as another person's, even if all contributing factors are identical (height, weight, overall health, etc.). So, if you can find a way to make your knee stronger, you might well be able to avoid surgery - and wear on your shoulders by crutch use - for a good while longer. And even if you DO have surgery, you will be on your way to recovery before you even have it. The better conditioned you are beforehand, the faster and smoother your recovery will be. That is absolutely speaking from experience.

The other thing about ortho surgery is that new techniques, new cements, new tools, new ideas, new implants, new (fill in the blank) come along all the time. What was not possible yesterday may very well be possible tomorrow. Especially with knees and hips, I would say.

If you are still on the fence as to what way to go, if you can, get a third opinion. HealthBoard members can certainly offer opinions and suggestions, but we are not seeing x-rays, watching you walk, reviewing your test and op reports, and so on. Be sure, or as sure as you can be, that you have all the facts before you make a decision.

I am not in any way diminishing what you are going through now. I am merely offering, as you request, some opinions as food for thought.

I wish you well,
FF

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." ~ Dolly Parton

Old 05-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #5
(female)

Marem HB User

I just had a PKR, medial compartment, 7 months ago and now the arthritis is getting bad in the patella compartment. I now wish that I had the TKR done, not ready for another long recovery. Good luck in your decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to Marem For This Useful Post:
zimmerTKR (05-18-2013)
Reply Reply