It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
(female)

Lorene78 HB User
Question Need positive TKR stories. Are there any?

Seems the only people posting their tkr stories are the ones who have problems like pain. Don't people who have good outcomes post their stories on here? Or does everyone have serious pain issues at three months post op?
I'm having surgery on the 18th of Jan, and am terrified after reading all the stories on here of bad surgeries, or bad PT's or horrible pain months later, etc. Maybe the people who had easier surgeries are out living their lives and don't post anymore because there is nothing but good for them nowdays. Is that it? I'm wondering if anyone who had a good outcome or easy recovery will even be on this board to respond to my question. I hope so!!

Old 01-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
(female)

Tampa Mom HB UserTampa Mom HB User
Re: Need positive TKR stories. Are there any?

Sure! When I read your post I wanted you to know, yes, there are lots of things you can do to make your surgery and recovery less painful... Check the sticky posts re ice machine, pain control (be insistant if meds aren't taking the edge off, etc.).

Go into surgery in the best possible shape, weight down, etc. It will help.

It hurts yes, it is frustrating, you will cry and get crazy, but if you work at rehab, it will get better.

They say 6-12 months for full recovery. Improvement from therapy is incremental but you will see progress. Get a good PT experienced in manual therapy. Interview therapists to find one experienced in rehab, who is very positive and understands and supports your goals.

I am 3 months post surgery. Feeling more positive every day. In PT 3x a week, in gum 4 days a week. You can do it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

I too got the horrors when I read this site for information....but told myself that it is for hip and knee problems. Right TKR 3 months ago. No pain at all....full movement and didn't need physio. Was I 110% fortunate? Maybe but I am certainly not the only one to have such a good outcome. Think positive and good luck.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #4
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

Thanks so much Tampa Mom and cejayb. Wow cejayb I think you might be the exception! Glad to know someone had a great outcome. Honestly I've been reading this board for months and have all the horror stories floating in my head now, especially the stories about hideous pain and therapists pushing on your leg until you about scream in agony. I'm now sorry I wasn't able to get my weight down before surgery as I'm sure it would have helped a great deal. And I also wish I would have had surgery long ago before my legs got so bent. I can't straighten either of them out, but I'm sure the therapists will push on them until they get straight again. Ouch. Having the left done first and then the right. Oh boy. Thanks again for the replies.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
(female)

My surgery was much more complicated due to past surgeries so I don't feel my experience is typical. Plus I want to achieve more bend than I had just pre surgery, which I understand is also atypical. If the therapist can bend it farther than you can, which will be painful, I'm told that means you could achieve those extra degrees. Eat as modestly as possible between now and your surgery date. It will help!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:36 AM   #6
(male)

glennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB Userglennxyz HB User

I am 2 years post TKR, I was back bowling 6 weeks after surgery. I now ski and play golf more than I have in 20 years and I walk the course most of the time. I go to gym 3x a week and spend 45 mins on eliptical machine then swim.

Do the exercises and you will be fine. I too was very nervous before the surgery date. The 1st 6 weeks are tough but all up hill after that.

Glenn

Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

Thanks so much for these replies, they help keep the fear down a little bit.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
(female)

mimee HB User

I had left tkr in August of 2012 and it was wonderful. Can't wait to get the right one done!! I think one of the things that helped me the most was the CPM machine - I was told you would either love it or hate it ... and I loved it. The pain from the surgery was NOTHING compared to the pain I endured pre-surgery.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

eggyby HB User

I had both knees replaced in 1 huge surgery when I was 47. I'm now 61 and they are as pristine as when they were put in. I can do just about anything I want to do except run or kneel down...I had the kneecaps done too and they can break loose if I kneel.

So I'll be knee heaven 14 years on Feb. 1st...they are great!

Jen

Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

Thanks for your helpful replies. I saw my surgeon today and he was very positive except for one little comment. Since I cannot straighten my leg, he said it would be harder to do my knee. Also my cartilege wore out on the inside(meaning I look knockneed now) of my knee instead of the outside where most people have it.
Anyone else have a leg they couldn't straighten out before surgery?

Old 01-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #11
(female)

cejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB Usercejayb HB User

Yes..I was bone and bone with permanently bent knee and was told that would be straightened for me! Tis done and I can now stand for as long as I please instead of hunting a chair or leaning on anything available. Don't see why your knee shouldn't straighten as your knee is going to be replaced.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
(female)

Lorene78 HB User

The doctor didn't say it wouldn't be straightened out, he just commented that it would be harder for him to do the knee. Of course I didn't ask him why and now could kick myself for not asking. My reponse was Well of course it would happen to me. haha As much as I try, I cannot straighten my leg out and bending is very hurtful too. Now if I can only keeps my nerves calm, everything should be ok. I'm a wreck.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
(female)

It's correct, the new knee itself will be perfect, straightening and bending perfectly.

Your challenge will be retraining the muscles and tendons and such, around the knee, to do what they haven't been doing. And those body components will be very ****** off from the surgery! As stated on this board many times, grit your teeth and do the rehab, and you will get the best possible result.

Reply Reply