It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
(female)

orcalady HB User
Smile Knee swelling recurring

Hi ... I had a total knee replacement about six months ago. My healing has been slow, but in the last month, I've made good progress. I'm off pain meds, and I exercise by riding a stationary recumbent bike and doing some water exercise. In the last several days, the knee has again swollen and become more painful. Any suggestions about what I should do next? I don't know whether to exercise more or less, use the ice pack, or just what. I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,
Orcalady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
(female)

Dreed13 HB User
Re: Knee swelling recurring

I am 2 1/2 months out from my Total Knee and this is happening to me. My physical therapist said I was pushing too hard on the bike -- I had lowered the seat too much. She cautioned that it isn't supposed to "hurt" when you ride, just stretch. But --ice, ice ice!!!
Good Luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Dreed13 For This Useful Post:
orcalady (01-08-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
(female)

orcalady HB User
Re: Knee swelling recurring

Thanks, Dreed13. I may be pushing too hard on the bike too. Last time I saw my orthopedist, he said to make sure I was NOT using any resistance , just to let the wheels spin when I pedal. That was useful to know, as I'd been doing it on the 3rd setting of resistence. Guess I'll just let up a bit more and ice more. Thanks again. Hope you continue to improve.

Reply Reply