It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #16
(female)

Chillytoes HB User
Re: Having meniscus surgery Friday

Thanks Laurielei & onyx. I keep everything that I'll possibly need close at hand. I keep my cell phone in my pocket. My couch has built in recliners in it, so I sit there with my computer, cell pen & paper etc. My walker is close at hand also!! What I find hard me now is getting up out of my chair, and at night when I try to get up to go potty. I"m trying to go with the pain, because pain will cause me to just stop.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #17
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

I forgot to ask. What about driving when did both of you start back driving. My surgery was on my right knee. I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I don't remember my dr telling me any of this stuff. He probably did, I just forgot.

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #18
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

As Onyx said, the quicker you get moving around, the faster you heal...but always being very careful about how you move. I did my exercise faithfully after the firs 2 knee surgeries because I had a different doctor for the other 3. The first 2 were longer recoveries because that doc didn't say a word to me about doing exercises, nor did they express the importance of elevating my knee ABOVE MY HEART. I just used 2 pillows and that wasn't high enough. I stayed swollen a LONG time, especially the first surgery, which started out as a scope and ended up being an open incision. THe doc never talked about phys therapy and my knee stayed swollen the size of a softball for a month after that first surgery! I finally got scared and asked why and what we could do..he says "Have you been exercising it"? I said NO! I have been babying it and now I can't even lift it from a sitting position any more. My muscles were wasting away and I was forgetting how to use them. It took 3 mos of PT 3 times a week to get better. But now I know better. The more you can move, the better. I went back to work within a week of having surgery the last 3 times. I could drive my car by the 3rd day after surgery. But, I would caution you...if you drive a stick shift, it is harder. Having to do the clutch AND the gas pedal is hard on your surgery knee.
I finally have an automatic after many years of driving a stick shift.

Just be smart. I went to work after a week of resting, but I had to come home at the end of a work day and ice that knee and elevate it. Sometimes I slept with it elevated. That really helped a lot. I still have to ice and elevate my right knee that I had surgery on 4 mos ago. That knee has had a harder time healing than the other meniscus surgeries. It swells easily. I still have pain in it, nothing I have to take anythng stronger than Ibuprofen for and it is still pretty tender where the meniscus was removed. But...it is still better than before the surgery.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
(female)

barbjean13 HB User

Very interesting thread. Chillytoes, glad to hear you are recovering well from your arthroscopy. I had one a year ago and another this past September. The first one was done even though a meniscus tear was not showing up on the MRI. I had alot of lateral pain, probably from playing too much pickleball. The doctor removed a few tears and said he did a debridement. The knee never got better. In fact, it was worse. Stiff, popping sounds, etc. The doc then went and retired, so I went to another one who told me he felt there was still a tear and that surgery would get me back to my activities. Not the case!! I really did not feel arthritis was an issue before these surgeries, but now it is. It is always stiff and painful. Went to PT after both surgeries, but pain never resolved. Now, I see a chiro who is working on adhesions where the IT band attaches to the knee and I have felt a difference with the lateral pain. But, when I get up from a sitting position, I can barely put any weight on it. I am pretty discouraged over the whole thing and wonder constantly if the two surgeries should even have been done. I am going to Paris in 9 weeks and cannot fathom how I will be able to get around (pain this with hip bursitis in the opposite leg). I am going to have Euflexxa shots into the knee with hopes it will buy me some pain free time. I am just wondering if any of you feel that the meniscus surgery just "stirred up" the arthritis and made the knee worse. Chillytoes, I surely hope this is not the case with you and you continue to improve. Take care, Barb

Old 02-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #20
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Thanks everyone. I went to the dr. for post-op on Tuesday, he said it looked good. The also said it was healing good. I have 2 more weeks of pt. He told me I could go upstairs, and to go with how my body feels. If it don't feel good don't do it. He said with all he done when he went in, that I had a lot of arthritis in my knee. He told me that it would take some time to get it right since I've had this problem for 3 yrs, and walking with a limp all this time takes it's toll on the muscles etc. So, I know it will take some time to be 100% healed. I'm moving using a cane. Today has been a bad day for me. I awaken this moring with a great deal of pain, and a red area on my leg. My physical therapist said it was swollen. I'm still icing my knee.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Hello everyone!! Today is the 3r week since my surgery. I have one more week of pt, which wears me out!! I've having a couple of not so hot days, I guess I've been doing too much. I can't wait to get back into my high heels. LOL

Old 02-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #22
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

I am going in tomorrow AM for my surgery. I am a little nervous but know the surgery is quick and I will be home. I will keep you all posted on my surgery and recovery.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Oh Onyx you will do just fine. I was like that too. I did my las pt yesterday. I continue to have so up and down days, I think it's because I have oa in my knees.

I pray for a speedy recovery for you!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #24
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

Chilly, I'm glad you're recovering nicely from your surgery. I had my 4th menisectomy surgery last Sept. I have had 3 others on my left knee. My right knee also had a retinacular release open surgery (vs arthroscope) in 2004. This most recent surgery has been, by far, my most difficult recovery. Initially, I did great and was walking without help from crutches within a week. However, it still has issues. I did 6 wks of PT in Nov and Dec. This knee still pops when I move to stand from a sitting motion. I just elevate and ice when I see swelling. Haven't really thought much of it since I just went through a very difficult and invasive surgery on my left ankle and foot. I had my ankle and arch and heel of my foot reconstructed a week ago. I am non-weight bearing on my left foot, so I have to rely 100% on my right foot and leg to get me around. Not good for my right knee. It freaks me out a little because the knee still feels weak. And to top it off, I was using my knee walker late last night to get to the bathroom and I was trying to carry a couple of things back to the couch along with trying to scoot along and I fell off the scooter onto my stone tile floor. I panicked because of my surgery foot taking the force of the fall so I threw myself onto my right knee. OMG it hurt! My knee immediately swelled and feels even worse now. So worried that I damaged it again. It seems ok at the moment. Time will tell. So be careful in protecting your knee. Once you've had a meniscus surgery, it seems to be vulnerable to further injury.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #25
(female)

Good luck Onyx! Let us know how your recovery goes.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

Back from surgery and everything went fine. I had a minor tear which was taken care of and a ton of arthritis (too much for my age). Doctor said that I am looking at a knee replacement down the road (I will hold out as long as possible). For now I am a little sore but nothing a magic pill doesn't fix.

The following user gives a hug of support to onyxgates:
lauralei51 (02-15-2013)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #27
(female)

Onyx, I'm happy to hear you had your surgery and everything went well. I hope your recovery goes smoothly. Let us hear from you how you progress. Rest!!!! And ICE and ELEVATE that knee above your heart.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #28
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Onyx I glad your surgery went well. Continue to rest and heal.

@Lauralie, today my son used my car as his was being repaired. When he parked it I told him to bring my shawl to me. Well, he forgot and was gone. My dh had carried our daughter to get a car. I didn't go because I knew it would be too much walking for me. I went to get it, and noticed that the car was not parked in the space properly. I got my shawl put in on, as I didn't have on a coat. I went to step back to where I thought the sidewalk was, and I missed it and stumbled back a bit. Since that little incident my knee, and the back of my knee has be a little painful. I immediately came inside iced my knee. The pain is a little sporatic at this time. I hope I didn't reinjury my knee.

I'll see how it feels tomorrow and Sunday.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #29
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Oh, I forgot to add that my knee also pops and almost seems to be out of place a few times a day. It almost locks at times. Sometimes I'm getting up, sometimes I'm just walking. Mostly is went I try to turn to the right.

Does that make any sense? LOL but it's true!!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #30
(female)

Chilly....I know exactly what you're talking about when you describe what your knee is doing. It was very good that you immediately went inside and iced your knee. That is the best thing you could have done. If you're allowed to take anti-inflammatories, you might want to take some.

Try not to worry too much when you feel all these things going on in your knee. It is pretty normal, I've always experienced the same, and heck, I'm having that pop in my knee that has surgery last Sept still. PT helped, but I think bearing all my weight on that leg because of my recent ankle surgery is causing me to baby that knee more than I should.

I would recommend you keep an eye on that knee...continued swelling, pain, popping or feeling like it's locking shouldn't be something that continues too long. If it is still bothering you Monday, I'd recommend calling your doctor's office and letting them know what's going on. It may be that icing and staying off of it for the majority of the weekend will make it feel better. I often found myself doing too much too soon, and if I would make myself slow down on the weekend and really rest my knee, my knee felt much much better. Even now, before my foot surgery, I would often come home from work and elevate and ice. My knee still swells. I probably have something wrong with it, but I have to concentrate on my ankle right now.

Reply Reply