It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
(female)

Chillytoes HB User
Having meniscus surgery Friday

I'm having meniscus surgery on my right knee this Friday the 18th. I will have therapy on the following Monday. I asked my dr about bearing weight on that leg. He told me I could bear weight. I told him that all my research says not to bear any weight on the leg. In fact, he told me that I could walk home if I wanted without a problem. He did say I could use a walker if I need too!

Now, I don't know what to think!!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: Having meniscus surgery Friday

If the doctor is going to remove the torn piece of meniscus instead of repairing it, it is fine to bear weight on the leg after surgery. I imagine that is what he will be doing since he told you that you could bear weight on the day of the surgery. Post op pain will dictate how much weight bearing you can tolerate. I would recommend using the walker for at least the first few days after the surgery because it will give you extra support and security. I was partial weight bearing after all three of my knee surgeries and nothing bad happened. Everything healed correctly.

I hope this helped.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Thanks it helps. My only concern about removing the torn piece, is that I will be bone on bone. I already have ao in my knees. And yes, I will use a walker for a few days. My husband has already gotten things he can make so I won't have a need to be cooking etc. Mostly I will take it easy.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

The area that will be bone on bone will not be very big. I had my meniscus surgery three years ago, and I have not had any issues with the area of the knee where the meniscus was removed. I can walk 2 to 3 miles a day with no problems.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

That sounds great!! I just want to finally be able to get into my high heels once again!!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

The meniscus surgery was actually the easiest of my three surgeries. The first two surgeries were for kneecap tracking issues, so I was in a knee immobilizer for 10 days after both of those surgeries. After the meniscus surgery, my knee was only wrapped with an ace bandage. It felt so nice to be able to bend my knee right after that surgery. Removing a torn piece of meniscus is a fairly common surgery.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Thanks so much.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

You are welcome. I will be sending positive thoughts your way on the 18th.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Doing my pre-op my dr gave me a precription for pain killers, and they are great to relieve the pain. Physical theraphy was not bad today. I didn't like it too much, but I tolerated it!!

I was told to continue using the walker, then the cane. I was also given instructions on the proper way to use a cane.

thanks

Old 01-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

onyxgates HB User

How are you feeling? One week out, I hope better. I am having surgery on February 15th. Keep me posted on how you are feeling.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

I am VERY familiar with torn meniscus surgery...I've had 4 of them...3 on my left knee and most recently (Sept 2012) 1 on my right knee. I also have had a retinacular release on my right knee.
I firmly believe in doing exercises the very next day after surgery! The first 2 surgeries I had, the doc didn't tell me I should do any kind of excercise for my knee. My current OS has always given me a sheet of paper with certain exercises to do and the difference in faster recovery is night and day. I had far less swelling when I did the exercises than I did with my first 2 surgeries. And, as much as it sucks to do them when you're sore, it really helped. You are much more painful when you DON'T move that knee!

Also, keep the knee elevated above your heart and ice ice ice! It took me till this last surgery last Sept to learn that 2 pillows under my knee was not enough elevation. And I always tended to get impatient and not rest and elevate enough. Big mistake as it keeps your knee swollen. I had to go to phys. therapy a few mos after my last surgery because I was still having some pain. Turns out I was so used to protecting my knees that I had overcompensated how I walked by using my hamstring muscle in the back my thigh instead of using my quadracep muscle. Guess what that attaches to? The knee cap! So my knee cap was having tracking issues because I wasn't "setting" my quadracep muscle when I would stand from a sitting position and the result was horrible pain in my knee and lots of charlie horses in my hamstring. So I have run the gammut of knee scope surgeries and what not to do, so I thought I would pass on my "wisdom".

Just be careful! Elevate, ice, move that knee and follow your doctor's orders and you'll do great! Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #12
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Thanks Laurielee!! My walking sounds like what you were doing. I had to wait 2 yrs to be able to have this surgery, and I have not straigten my left leg out in all time. I walked with it bent, and with a limp. So, physical therapy is doing me a lot of good!! I too sleep with my leg up on a pillow. I was told that doing all the trouble with my right knee not be able to put the pressure on it, was causing me to put too much pressure on my left leg. I started having bad problems with left leg a while. Dr said after right is healed, he's going to check out the left. I think I want to wait until the weather is a bit warmer.

Now soon can I walk upstairs? Most of my clothes are upstairs. Can you imagine having your husband dressing you, and not being able to do anything about it? LOL

On last Friday, our 10 yr granddaughter was inducted in the Jr. Beta Club. So, I went. Then on yesterday (saturday) I was up frying chicken. I should have sat down while doing so, but I didn't. Well, I paid for it later that evening & night. I as in pain. So, dh got me ice. And I elevated it.

thanks, all the information is still helping me.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #13
(female)

lauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB Userlauralei51 HB User

You're welcome Chilly. I was able to do the stairs within a few days of having surgery. Though it was sometimes on my butt. And you go slowly and do one step at a time, one foot at a time. I still go down steps one foot at a time
....meaning I put one foot on down on the step, then the other foot goes down on step next to it. Then I do the next step and the next...etc. If the stairs are shallow I can go down normally. It is easier to go up steps than down for me.

I recently learned that my entire foot and ankle are misaligned, I have an extra bone in my arch that needs to be removed and I have torn ligaments and a major tendon in my ankle and top of my foot. All of this has been caused by my being flat footed, which as caused by having the extra bone (and being overweight) My foot and ankle being messed up may be the reason I've had so many knee problems in the past 8 yrs. On Feb 6, I am having surgery to reconstruct my ankle and foot. I sure hope it helps and takes some of the pressure off my knees.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #14
(female)

Chillytoes HB User

Laurielei I will keep you in my prayers. Thanks for the information on the stairs. I've be going up and downstairs the way you described. I will try to go up and find my own clothes, now! LOL

The following user gives a hug of support to Chillytoes:
lauralei51 (01-27-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
(female)

I don't know if you have learned this from others on this site, but it is also wonderful to get a cooler or two and keep them beside you. One is for your ice bags. (unless you have an icing machine like I do) and one for drinks and snacks you might want that need to be kept cold. Put them right beside your couch or chair where you can reach them easily. (this is so helpful if you are alone during the day while hubby is at work). And I also kept one basket with all my essentials in it...remote for tv, whatever you might use for music/internet, phone, lotion, hair ties, etc. I always took my cell phone with me to the bathroom or any time I got up, if I was alone. Just in case something happens and you need to call for help.
Just a few tricks I've learned after many surgeries and being laid up at home while hubby was at work. It helped me to be pretty self sufficient.
GOOD LUCK!

Reply Reply