It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
(female)

nikkibradley59 HB User
Unhappy Hip Pain

Hi, my name is Nikki I'm 26 and in May 2012 I underwent a second hip replacement on my right hip. My First prosthesis got severely infected and had to be removed. I have been in extreme pain ever since and find even walking with my crutch is proving difficult these days. I have chronic nerve damage everywhere in my right leg/lower back. Could anyone recommend any home remedies or advice to ease the pain as I've been told i can't have any more operations.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Guys

The following user gives a hug of support to nikkibradley59:
keycolony (01-15-2013)
Old 01-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
(male)

traveler3309 HB Usertraveler3309 HB User
Re: Hip Pain

I never heard of any doctor telling their patient that you can't have any more surgeries to correct whats wrong. Why are they telling you this? I would find another ortho doctor especially after what they told you. I had my right hip done six weeks ago and so far so good. If you are anywhere near NY I would highly recommend the Hospital for Special Surgery or the Hospital for Joint Diseases which is were I had my surgery done. I have some nerve issues myself and was given Nuerontin for it and it helps me alot. I would really start looking for a experienced doctor that just focuses on hips in his or her practice. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
(female)

Wildwoodapp HB User

You definitely should see a different doctor. My daughter is a nurse and her doctor gave her the name of a surgeon I should avoid when having my hip replacement surgeries done. Since then, my PT has told me of other patients that have had infections in their hips and they all came from the doctor I was warned against. I feel so bad for the people who used that surgeon as I understand a high percentage of his patients have difficulties, so do find another doctor if possible.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
(female)

nikkibradley59 HB User

The reason I can't have more surgery is because I have no original bone left therefore there is nothing to attach the prosthesis on to. My Dr is Mr O Toole, he practices in Dublin and I must say I have the upmost respect for him. He is an extremely talented man and has always had my best interest at heart. I think it's just a case of me slightly unlucky. I had a bone tumour in my pelvis when I was 17, since then I have had numerous things go wrong. People tend to think that cancer is terrible but in my case the cancer was a breeze compared to what came after. But it's on message boards like this that I find new ways to tackle my ongoing ailment so thank you for your comments, and if you have any more advice or coping mechinisims feel free to send them my way! thanks again guys.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

achyFL HB User

Hi Nikki,

I understand where you're coming from. I had both hips replaced in 1990, last year it was determined both implants had failed. I had one of them removed and replaced in Aug. 2012. It was a very tough surgery (9 hours) and I still have pain too. My doc had to use a large bone graft as a strut and attach it to what was left of my thigh bone, I am still using a walker because the other hip is failing, I still have pain from the surgery, and now the arthritis in my knees has gotten bad enough that they both need to be replaced. People who haven't been through it don't realize how much more difficult the 2nd operation (revision) is compared to the original replacement. One thing that helps me is walking in a heated swimming pool. Use a comfortable depth, at least 3 feet, and walk forward, backwards, and sideways.

Also, Lidoderm patches can help with nerve pain. It has a local anesthetic, you can cut them and put them in different locations and keep them on 12 hours at a time.

Last edited by achyFL; 01-21-2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Add info

Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
(female)

Wildwoodapp HB User

I can't imagine how you must feel. If my hip replacements failed it would be a terrible blow to me and my way of life. I tried Lidoderm on my back when I was thought to have back problems, not hip problems and they actually did help some. (I do have arthritis in my lumbar region). I guess all I can offer you is support and know that someone is thinking of you and how you must be suffering.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wildwoodapp For This Useful Post:
achyFL (01-21-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #7
(female)

nikkibradley59 HB User

Thank you that means a lot. It's nice to know I'm not alone with this. My friends and family are hugely supportive but as I'm sure you know, unless you have experienced it yourself it's hard to fully understand. Thanks again

Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #8
(female)

nikkibradley59 HB User

Thank u for your message and I'm sorry to hear about your condition. And I agree with the pool walking. I used to do it too. Felt kind of silly walking in a swimming pool! But it did relieve some pain. I will give the patches a try. Stay positive and thanks again

Reply Reply

Tags
hip, pain, sciatic nerves