It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Knee & Hip Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
(female)

dpucla HB User
Exclamation Surgery in 2 days, but I'm feeling better...

I'm scheduled for arthro knee surgery to repair a torn meniscus (lateral) on Wednesday (1/16/13), but my knee has been feeling back to normal for the past three days. You're probably thinking "well, then just cancel the surgery dummy!", but just Wednesday night my knee was still sore.

Let me give some background first. I jumped into an exercise program pretty quick and took up running as a new interest. Shortly after starting to run my right knee started really hurting. Since it was the same knee I had a meniscal tear three years ago I figured I'd get it checked out. My MRI results showed a tear. Since it wasn't affecting my every day activities but I was still uncomfortable, my doctor suggested conservative treatment first (3 weeks physical therapy then a follow up where I'd have the final verdict). At my last PT session on Wednesday (1/10/13) my knee was still tender and certain exercises were still uncomfortable. Although I could certainly tell the improved difference, I still wasn't back to 100%. I have been dealing with my knee pain for two months, haven't been able to do much exercise, and working on my feet for 8 hours doesn't help. Since I'm only 25 and have had the surgery before, which wasn't a big deal, I opted to just go ahead and do it so I could start recovery and get back to normal ASAP.

My last PT session was just four days ago and I feel just fine now, which is why I'm concerned whether or not to go through with surgery. I've done a lot of research and have learned that meniscal tears don't heal on their own and for some people the pain comes and goes for several years if left untreated. Would it best if I just go ahead and get it done anyway, especially because I'm young? Thoughts? Feedback? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
(male)

CLB1988 HB User
Re: Surgery in 2 days, but I'm feeling better...

It looks like that date has already passed. Hopefully you are doing well. It's good that your doctor had a definitive diagnosis before going in, many people have diagnostic arthroscopies when the doctor is perplexed as to what is causing the knee pain. With something that clear cut and straight forward you should be fine.

Reply Reply